Originally Posted By: Noel96
Floyd,

As mentioned a couple of years ago, you and Kenny have done a really great job in writing this song. "Burned by blue-eyed cool" is still a standout line!

The current version, though, takes the previous version in a whole new direction.

What stood out to me most was how you've taken what was an AABA format and while you've kept the AABA presentation, you've modified the format so that it finishes with repeated B-sections. That really intrigued me. Normally to end an AABA song using the B section does not work effectively. But that was not the case here. Moreover, these days, the only way that a song usually ends with a B-section is if that B-section is a chorus. In this song of yours and Kenny's, though, the B-section did not sound like a chorus at all to me.

The more I thought about it, the more I came to see that your approach to format reminded me of a jazz technique I've come across a few times recently. There are a number of songs from the 40s/50s that use ABAB where B is definitely neither a chorus nor a bridge but just another musical section. One that springs to mind is Loesser's "If I Were A Bell" from 'Guys and Dolls'.

The first appearance of the B-section starts with Jean Simmons singing "From the moment we kissed tonight..." and ends with "If I were a banner I'd wave." In the following repetition of the A- and B-sections, the B-section ends the the sequence at that point with a slight variation of the original B-section.

In all honesty, I found it very refreshing to hear "The Rule". You and Kenny have given me a great deal to ponder!

Impressive work!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Also, as always, I was left thinking... "How does floyd manage to produce such a spectacular sound!"

Noel - Thanks - we appreciate that you found this satisfying this time around as well... I enjoyed hearing "If I Were A Bell". They just don't write 'em like that anymore...

Originally Posted By: rayc
It rocks, really rocks.
You do this sort of thing oh so well.

Glad you enjoyed it, Ray...

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Really great rocker with catchy 'big drum' chorus - I like the minor chord approach. Nice lyrics. Vocals, arrangement and mix are excellent. The solo guitar fits like a glove.

Janne

Janne - thanks for dropping by for a listen.... and for the nice comments...