Of Two Minds

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Of Two Minds
Key=C , Tempo 85, Length (m:s)=1:24
Style is _CSTRBAL.STY (Pop String Quartet)

RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~542:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2334:String Quartet, Rhythm PopChamber Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3267:Cello, Background CelticAirFlowingNatalie Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2327:Koto, Synth, Rhythm NewAge Ev 110
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
https://soundcloud.com/user-47797156/of-two-minds
This started from a simple experiment to hear the difference when a new tonal center was introduced under a chord. In the first section, I used a I vi ii V progression, but alternated by insterting "slash" chords with a /3 in the first two beats of every measure followed by two beats with the natural tonal center.

I could be wrong but I was attemtping to emulate a heavy Phrygian modal influence, and borrowed a common two-chord vamp in that mode to end the first section. The difference was striking, and I knew I had to make something other than an "experiment" with it. This is the result--a "film-score" kind of piece.

In the second section I used essentially the same progression, but changed the alternating "slash" chord to a /6.

I really don't "know" what I am doing with theory. I'm learning just enough to be dangerous, but I don't think this will hurt you even if it wanders occasionally and briefly into a hint of dissonance to western ears.

I mixed (and edited) in Reaper, and left out the drums. They just weren't needed.

If you've read this far, it took you longer than it would to listen, but I hope I've explained things both correctly and with enough info to make a listen of less than a minute and a half a bit more interesting. I hope you enjoy.

I think I have found a way to get to SoundCloud, and will try to get back into the swing of things here (and there) once a week or so.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground