Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
More comments will follow in the next few days. I'm normally not comfortable commenting on mixing (specifically EQ) as it's not a strong point of mine. Right now, I would be REALLY uncomfortable with that being my ears still have that "I just stepped off a plane" muffled, and popping feel to them from a cold.

That being said, there are some things I can definitely comment on...and one that might surprise you (he said baiting them to read on. wink

The problem I see is when I see those three names I always have both high and low expectations. The high expectations come as the result of your previous songs. This can be great; but I feel it's unrealistic to think someone can necessarily maintain that level of writing, performance, and production. SO...I lower my expectations to be fair. I guess I still don't need to do that though AGAIN, you hit the high bar. I don't get it. There are a few people on this forum that continuously do that; and you are 3 of them...on one song! You're not playing fair. smile

Writing-obviously perfect for the style. It's say so much by knowing what not to say. That's leaves only what needs to be said. That is the heart of this music.

Performance-perfection for the style. It's shows talent and restraint, with a very nice nod to "I could do a lot more; but the song doesn't call for it. So these are what I choose." And they are RIGHT ON! Great choice of RB's, the vocals are memorizing, and the guitar is to die for. All of it is sooooo good!

Arrangement-Well, it's like you know what your doing.! It's not 3 bar blues or anything. lol wink

Production-Again, not commenting on EQ; but the rest of it sounds really good from what I can tell. I'm not sure if I'm hearing distortion or not. It's bothersome for me not to know; but maybe someone else could fill us in. Using that number of tracks can be daunting but everything fits really well without bumping into each other. NOT easy! I really like how you made everything fit so well. VERY convincing.

"The snare"-special mention here of the snare. I think it really defined the 2 and 4 very well AND didn't seem like it was "just added." It sounds like it fits right in to me. Well done!

The Unexpected-I actually really like what you did for the photo for the song! What a cool picture! Coordinating the jeans and the text color with the black and white photo looks fantastic. If you wanted to make the text pop a bit more you could add a drop shadow or stroke...but I would keep it subtle if you do. Anyway, something about that color combination works really well; and seems to be a great a visual representation for the song and style. Are those blues jeans Janice is wearing? There may be a song in there somewhere. smile

Here is my thought for your next song. To level the playing field; I vote for you next song Janice plays all of the instruments (a minimum of 5...so you don't pull a "she's on spoons"), can't use BIAB, and you two boys have to sing it! Thoughts?

We are overwhelmed that you would take that much time and thought to respond to our song. It was a labor of love, fun and learning...and reading your comments make it exponentially even more worthwhile.

As mentioned in the post thank you so much for the snare advice and for directing me to that on-line source. You saying, from a drummer's perspective, that the snare did not sound "just added" has given me a LOT of encouragement to continue my quest to learn more about drums. And as a LONG time bluegrass picker that is a position I never thought I'd be in!

Regarding your nice comments on the mix, after receiving some excellent advice and counsel on it, I afterwards struggled with the mastering -- trying to get it as Kenny described in his post but without going over the top. I finally tweaked Waves multi-band compressor to a point that I felt reasonably comfortable with it.

And, hey, yet another thanks for mentioning the photo of Janice. That was taken at our fav B&B last year. I'll try your font suggestions!

We hugely appreciate your support.

J&B