Using a "20" search I found the primary test entries to this thread to try and see if any of the tests were with gain-nodes. It seems like none were with gain-nodes except my test and Del's comments. The primary question remains. Does 2019 default to gain-nodes or volume-nodes and do the 2019 version gain-nodes write to the .wav file during "file, save-as". I quoted all the entries I found and entered a few comments which are not really all that important. You might want to read them if you have unlimited time otherwise I would not bother. PgMusic might want to (set the RealBand install default to volume-nodes) or (documented the features) or (at least not hide the drop down toggle) - ideally all 3 of these ideas.

Rharv
Quote:
No difference in perceived or visible volume.
If it helps it was done in RB 2019-3.

My Comment: I am guessing Rharv was using volume-nodes rather than gain-nodes and that explains the successful result. In my case they shipped RealBand defaulting to gain-nodes and we were not yet aware I was using gain-nodes.

My Comment: I reread Rharv's method of testing after a good nights sleep with a clear mind (to much for me at the time - tired, minded clocked). Smart way to test. My objective was different. It was to make it as simple as possible for people of limited time like myself or more green than myself hoping the ease of my test would get some more info. Charlie's test would be better for testing for nuance inaccuracies.

silvertones
Quote:
Works perfectly in 2019. Has always worked perfectly. I rendered the file and opened it in VLC media player and it was perfect.

My comment: Again I suspect it was with volume-nodes and current thread participants were not yet aware I was using the default gain-nodes for my version of 2016. We had not noticed the colour difference (volume-blue, gain-green).

jford
Quote:
Notebook tests were done in 2019.

My Comment: If I remember correctly jford tested with volume-nodes. He did not test "file save-as" but I suspect it would be successful. I suspect testing gain-nodes using "file save-as" would not write to the node adjustments to the .wav file. I say this because of Charlie's comments and my later thinking more about what he said and my jam mixing experiences.

Del
Quote:
I have seen this problem before when I was first trying to use the 'nodes' to adjust levels with RB2017 ver7.

I used the Gain Nodes in db as you are doing and had all kinds of trouble with it not saving the set level. I contacted tech support in October of 2017 and they verified the problem. At that time they instructed me to use Volume nodes instead of Gain nodes. And that fixed the problem for me.

I'm now running RB2018 and the Volume nodes work perfect with RB2018 and Windows 7. It may be worth a try to use the Volume Nodes instead of Gain Nodes. The volume node levels range from 0 to 127 max.

My comment: To bad Del didn't see my post first :-) It would have saved a lot of confusion and time. Even better if PgMusic set the default to volume-nodes or documented the features or at least did not hide the drop down toggle (ideally all 3 of these ideas).

Del
Quote:
Apparently the 'Gain Node' issue I reported in 2017 is still hanging around for some users. Using volume nodes has worked flawlessly for me and I use it in most of my songs.

My comment: I suspect the problem is lack of documentation and setting the factory reset default to gain-nodes so people don't realize they are not using volume-nodes. It may be that they have changed the factory default to volume-nodes at some point after the 2017 version (unknown at this point).

silvertones
Quote:
Gain nodes are supported (for audio tracks and DXi/VSTi tracks). Gain nodes allow for an increase or decrease in dB without the volume slider moving up/down during playback. (Note: These major features were added in mid 2016, and enhanced in 2017.)
The manual really needs to be updated and totally gone through to address these issues. There are a number of these types of issues that that we figured out before but after 3 years we've worked around them and have forgotten the details.

My comment: after (looking up the difference between gain and volume on google and working with my anolog mixer I use for the jams) it makes sense that the gain-nodes do not adjust the faders/sliders since they are used for mixing to the output. To the best of my understanding gain-nodes are used to adjust the input to one track to get max input without distortion .

jford
Quote:
The sad part is that I find no reference to the nodes feature and how to use it at all in the RealBand 2019 user manual.

My Comment: I agree. I figure they are too busy and it does not surprise me because they have a great pair of products. I could not do what I am doing without them.

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/17/19 02:27 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles