Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi all

Yes Herb, I certainly will try those strings I have read good things about them.
Got a couple of Fender sets to work through yet but I don’t expect that will take long at this stage in the game.

I started using EBSS in 1972. I've tried other brands but always ended up coming back. Fenders are good. They came out with a gimmick called the Fender Bullets.... those things sounded good but tended to break easily at the "bullet" so I quit using them.

The main thing is that they are 9,11,16,24,32,42. The strings can vary from that a little, but I like the lighter gauge since it lets you bend notes and it doesn't kill your fingertips to fret them cleanly. Of course, the gauge size you ultimately settle on is totally dependent on you, your playing style, and to a certain degree, the kind of music you play. If you change to a different gauge, either lighter or heavier, you will want to readjust the action on the guitar. My action is low. I set the action just slightly above the point where I get fret buzz if it's lowered. Very easy on the fingers.

During the time I was playing for a living, I was changing them every 2 weeks. I discovered that I got a very reliable 2 weeks on a set based on how often we played and rehearsed, and I practiced. Cleaned them after each use, and they would do well. I was buying them by the case at that time. Now days, I change them only when they start to sound dull/dead. Yeah I know.....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.