Alright, now I'm really going to step in it, I'm sure.
A followup to Sandra's question, forget the physics lessons and all that, if a horn player plays a note on his horn and it's a A concert, why can't it simply be called a A for everyone? An A is an A is an A, right? If all the different players on all the different instruments were simply taught as kids that that note is an A, where's the problem? The point I'm trying to make here is pitch is absolute. The A below middle C is 440 and that's it regardless if it's on a piano, tuba, sax, violin or whatever. Think in terms of pitch not length of tubing on a Souzaphone. 440 is 440 so why isn't that tone called an A regardless of the instrument? Someone with perfect pitch hears 440 coming from an electrical hum to a foghorn in the harbor and says "that's an A". He won't say that's a Db for a tri tube glockenspruchen that sits in the fourth row in the Berlin Philharmonic.
Is this simply one of those legacy things like that much more efficient typing keyboard someone invented 30 years ago that was proven to be twice as fast as our querty keyboard but nobody cared since we all know the qwerty system and nobody was willing to learn a new one? To me this sounds like what this is all about. 300 years of classical music training and it is what it is now.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.