Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I have some experience with doing it wrong. I had a Peavey power amp, modest with only 200 watts per channel. I only needed one channel / one speaker. Ok, so why not just connect an 8 ohm, 2 watt resistor across the other side speaker terminal to balance the load?

After about two seconds at zero volume, that resistor lit up like an incandescent bulb! I switched off the power as the smell began to reach my nose.

I’m still not sure why it didn’t work, but hey.

You would need a thumping big resistor to take up the power (wire wound) There are devices made to pad out the speakers. (These are not all that expensive). They essentially look like 8 ohm or whatever speakers to the power amp. It seems the go is non-inductive wire wound resistors to the correct wattage and impedance.

Edited to talk about pads and resistor type. Removed a link that probably makes little sense in this context.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 05/15/19 07:20 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1