Bob, thanks for the very thoughtful reply.

Last night I tried your approach of auditioning multiple MIDI styles with MIDI drums and then inserting real tracks for the other instruments and it does work.

But it's not optimal. What I'm trying to do is improve the mix on some existing songs written with RealStyles by forcing to MIDI drums, and then auditioning MIDI drum presets until I find one that I like. If I understand your instructions, this can't be done. This seems odd for a program that started out 100% MIDI (I was there!), but certainly matches my recent experience.

So I can start with my RealStyles-based song, write down the #'s of the RealTracks used, then go to the StylePicker and filter for MIDI only. Once I find a MIDI-only RealStyle I like the drums on, I load it. Then I can load the RealTracks I wrote down. Doable, BUT probably a bit too tedious to be useful for what I'm trying to do.

About every other year I'll open up Real Band and experiment with it. Did it last night, in fact. Looks like it has improved in many ways, including appearance, since I last tried to earnestly use it to make music. May try it again. Don't know if I'm ready to climb another learning curve based on past experiences, but I'll think it over. smile

THANK YOU, again.

Ron

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)