Originally Posted By: muzikluver
Originally Posted By: muzikluver
Another question I had pertains to my importation of an .XML file. You discussed the need for numerous folders to contain all the different sections of my song in BiaB. In order for me to create those different sections, I would need to create multiple .XML files within MuseScore for each section of my song and also have a complete master .XML file as the main road map of the song. I would also need to make changes to the master file and then copy those changes to one or more of the sub-sections as I go along, and then open the .XML exports from the edited sections into BiaB to regenerate the audio for them, etc. Am I correct?

I think I figured out the answer to my own question above. Correct me if I'm wrong. Instead of creating multiple .XML files (one as the master and the others as sections of the master), it would be better to just stick with one .XML file (that would have its name changed with each iteration) to open in BiaB. Then, I would delete all the measures within BiaB for all the sections except for a particular section for which BiaB would be used to generate tracks. This could be done repeatedly for one section (for example, the verse section) that ends up being modified multiple times while all the other sections remain intact both in the MuseScore master file and in the master audio file.

How you do this is determined by MuseScore. If MuseScore can assign a name to a series of bars, that is all you need to do to an .XML file different than what you do now. Otherwise, you will mark sections and name these sections of your song once the file is opened in RealBand. Example: Bars 1-12 (Intro); Bars 13-21 (Verse 1) and so on until your entire song has been broken into sections and each section is named according to what it is. What's important is that your song is broken into identifiable sections. This technique will make constructing or editing your song super manageable, super easy and super fast in comparison to your current workflow. It can literally turn hours of edits and arranging into minutes.

In DAWs this technique is call arranging. All DAWs have this feature as far as I know. I've never encountered one that doesn't in the few other DAWs I've used or watched videos of. I use Presonus Studio One 4 Pro and it places a lot of emphasis on working in the Arrangement Window as does Pro Tools and Ableton. RealBand has this feature although not as complex or advanced as some other DAW's. Doesn't matter. Even RB will make constructing a song (arranging) or editing it so much easier and faster.

How does a DAW or RealBand do this? By taking advantage that every track of a song recorded in a DAW can match the song tempo to a grid. The audio/midi/loop/sample can be placed at exactly the correct point to seamlessly merge with any prior audio from that point and any subsequent audio from that point. This works with a single note, single word, single phrase, whole verse, chorus, bridge, intro or ending.

To demonstrate the technique, regardless of what format you provide a demo to your producer, assume the producer reviews your project and gets back to you with the suggestion your demo song needs a 8 bar bridge between verse 3 and the last chorus. He/she further suggests the bridge's tempo be increased from 116 to 118 to make it more dynamic and the tempo should be dropped back to 116 at the last chorus. A final suggestion is to use a different chord progression than the intro or any verse or chorus.

For demonstration, your song has an 8 bar intro. Twelve bar verses and a 16 bar chorus. Using this technique, you have sectioned and named your song project when you created it. You have created a folder tree that follows and aligns with your song section structure. Intro, verse, verse 2, verse 3, chorus and outro. Following your MuseScore .XML file, you create a BIAB .sgu file saved and named to correspond to each section and placed in the corresponding sub folder in your song folder tree.

In this example you would first create a sub folder in your folder tree that corresponds with the Bridge you will create.

Second, open up the 8 bar intro BIAB .sgu file to create the 8 bar new section from and name it Bridge. Do a Save As - Bridge.sgu into the Bridge sub folder you created.

Working in BIAB project Bridge.sgu, Increase the tempo from 116 to 118

Decide on the bridge's chord progression and modify the chord chart accordingly.

If necessary or desired, change the style of modify the instruments and also changes to any bar using the bar settings.

Once you are satisfied with the Bridge's arrangement, Render the audio and save it into the Bridge sub folder.

Open your original RealBand project for your demo

Save a new and renamed version of the RB /seq file as your new file will now contain a bridge section

From the Bridge sub folder, select the Bridge audio file

Go to the Marker for the last chorus

Paste the bridge audio snippet at the marker for the last chorus

This inserts the bridge audio between verse 3 ending and the last Chorus just as your producer suggested. It is cross faded and seamless. If for some reason it isn't seamless, RealBand uses an artificial intelligence algorithm that can regenerate the audio to be seamless in a single step. (more about this powerful and unique feature later. RB is the only DAW that can do this)

So, after reviewing these changes to your demo, your producer comes back and is happy with the changes but now wants to eliminate the intro and begin the song with a Chorus then proceed with verse 1.

you open up the latest RB version of the project, Set the cursor at the beginning of a Chorus, Using Block\Select current selection - This will highlight and select the complete chorus section.

Go to the beginning of the song and set your curser at the beginning of the intro. Repeat the Block\Select current selection command. This highlights the Intro. Paste the copied Chorus at the beginning of the Intro and the Chorus audio replaces the Intro.

I added a photo to show a Marker block section highlighted.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB Markers.JPG (338.79 KB, 72 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/17/19 04:03 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.