Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Hmmm, OK. Yes, I know Peter said that but considering how minor that issue was that "mad" pic really seemed over the top to me and now it's some weird internet mistake?

It is not "some weird internet mistake"! laugh But I see how it could be confusing if you are unfamiliar with how it works.

This forum does not allow uploading of images so if you wish to post a screenshot to illustrate your post you must do so somewhere else. Most folks here do not likely have access to their own server so they use free image hosting services like TinyPic.

First they create the image then they upload it to TinyPic. And finally they add the link to it in their BIAB forum post. Whenever the post is displayed that image is automatically retrieved from the external hosting and displayed in the post.

BUT, if the image is removed at some point in the future that post cannot display it any longer and instead will display a broken image icon or a placeholder image which, in this case, was that little "mad face" from TinyPic that you see in the post.

I wish the PG forum allowed uploading images instead of requiring 3rd-party hosting for this very reason. Over time, as forum users come and go, anything they posted in the form of an image will likely disappear. So, imagine a user like Pipeline who provides some really great step-by-step instructions for doing things in BIAB. And then imagine he stops using BIAB or at least stops using the forum. When it comes time to renew a hosting account or clear out some files those old BIAB forum post images will likely be forgotten and deleted. That means knowledge contained within this forum will go missing. And that is a shame.

Another reason to require uploading images instead of linking to them from a 3rd-party is the image can be changed at any time on the 3rd-party site, by the poster or by a hacker. What if someone decided to change all of those lovely step-by-step instructive images with p0rn? That p0rn would be displayed right along with the post until someone reported it and PGM removed the post.

As an example, below you will see an image of you and your new little pal. Lemme know when you have viewed this and then I will change it to something bad (not real bad) without ever touching this post!

NOTE: Your avatar cannot be changed in this manner because that image is uploaded to PGM forum and stored there! I simply downloaded a copy of your avatar and your little buddy to make the image! laugh

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I agree with Roger about the grandstanding exit.

I don't disagree with you here. It would not be my style to leave in such a fashion either. Maybe he was just frustrated and blowing off some steam?