Here is the Nashville demo of "Wherever You Go"...

If you thought you wanted to compete in the Nashville songwriting market through the 1990's and into the 2000's (the Golden Era of Nashville Songwriting, I'd say), then know that these are the type demos you were competing against.
By the hundreds - for every pitch opportunity (if you managed to get access).
They (the screeners) were popping demo after demo in the player that had been recorded by the best session players (the same guys who played on the records) and the best demo singers (many of whom were being considered for record deals). The demos generally sounded like they should be on the radio - as is.

They were not cheap. They averaged $300-$500 per song.
And the better players expected to do sessions that recorded several songs in a block. They didn't do "single songs" - not worth their time. So a full session would run $2000 (or more) - including musicians, demo singer, engineer and studio time. That might end up being 5 or 6 songs.
Often that was a publisher demoing songs from several different writers.
Needless to say, they (publishers) were VERY picky about what songs got selected to be recorded. They had to believe they were HITS. No question.
Publishers generally foot the bill for demo sessions. Most staff contracts specify that the publisher recoups those cost from royalties before the writer is paid - if you ever get a song recorded (that makes some money).
The "big name" writers often paid their own studio sessions - just their songs, of course - because if they had radio hits, they had the money. And the more songs you have with quality (radio ready) demos, the more likely you get more cuts.
And these are people who know how to write. That goes without saying. Otherwise you are wasting that $400. Really.

So...
You have a writing session that ends with a completed song. This might be a couple of hours.
At the end of the session, you record a "work tape". A guitar/vocal on a portable cassette player, typically.
Decide on a demo singer and send them a copy of the work tape - so they get familar with the song and can determine the key it needs to be in for them.
Decide what players/instruments are needed - what their availablity is.
Book studio time.
During the session... when it is time for your song, they will play the work tape as the studio musicians listen. As they listen, they will write out charts (the Nashville Numbers system). They will discuss that amongst themselves and may listen again (whole or parts). Tweak the chart if needed.
(For the songs I was involved with, I generally brought along a numbers chart that I had done - I knew the system well - which made it easier and fastest to get started - they could modify it as needed).
They then run through the song. There may or may not be someone in the vocal booth to provide a scratch/reference vocal (In the case of "Wherever You Go", I was doing my best falsetto, because it was being done as a female demo. Not sure how useful THAT was?!?!).
The players might discuss a few parts.
The engineer hits Record, someone (drummer) counts it off and they go.
Typically, it is one take. There might be a quick overdub of leads or fills (though they are often played real-time) or the bass player punching in a missed note, etc.
Tracks are done. Maybe a half hour per song start to finish.
The demo singer(s) might be scheduled for the session after the tracks session or another day.
When they do the vocals, it is a similar situation. They get some levels, hit record and go. One or two takes and they are done. If harmonies are needed, it is often the same singer. (the good ones are booked constantly and are on a tight schedule to get to their next studio session).

I was never present during the mixing, so I cannot offer what time that took or how that was accomplished.
A week or so later, you pick up a finished product and look for opportunities to get it pitched...

Recorded at County Q Studio. Unfortunately, I do not recall the names of the session players on this. Danny set up the session and arranged for the musicians and the demo singer ("Tammy", maybe??. She was an incredible singer and a very attractive girl-next-door type. Why she did not become a star has always been a mystery to me)

Your first demo using Band-In-A-Box will cost you about the same as a single Nashville demo (one song).
BUT every one after that.... costs $0. ZERO!
(And you are using those same studio musicians!)
Now, if you can just get Trisha Yearwood to drop by the house to do that vocal...

WHEREVER YOU GO - Nashville Demo