Originally Posted By: musician17
Ok, so I listened to the BIAB version of the song. Before I listen to the Nashville demo, I'd like to give my impressions on the BIAB version.

In short: you made me stop and listen, then you made me cry. Your voice is stunning and carries the song beautifully - and the lyrics are the bread and butter of this song. This really deserves to be a hit - and the last verse, with Janice Merritt singing the harmonies with you, just takes it someplace else. You hit the ceiling, so to speak, and then - with that last verse - went through it and beyond it.

Genuinely and really beautiful - well done. I will now read the Nashville demo post, listen to it and see what I think of the demo part of things afterwards! But a good song shines no matter what, I think - and this really IS good (to understate things as those of us that live in England are sometimes prone to do, haha!).

Originally Posted By: musician17
D'you know, I much prefer the BIAB version - because it's SO much more sincere. Yes, the voice on the demo is probably run through auto-tune and everything ... it sounds more technically polished, etc., but that comes at the expense of sincerity and musicality a little bit. Your more gravelly voice MEANS every line - and, like I said, when the harmonies kick in, wow.

Then again, I've always been one for "slightly more 'unpolished' " recordings, for want of a much better phrase - more human, for me, so that's my two cents' worth. But - I stand by every word.

I just had to listen to your BIAB version again, after the Nashville demo. This is NOT to belittle in any way the demo itself ... it's just my personal view and preference, for reasons stated.

P.S. the demo process sounds scary, haha!!! Much better BIAB, for me ... much more cost-efficient and, as you say, the standard of BIAB is through the roof, I also find, so ...

James - thanks for those very nice comments. It is quite nice to find that folks are finding my vocal (with the addition of Janice) has more "warmth" than the demo...
I can assure you the young lady who sang the demo needed no AutoTune of any kind - she could sing like an angel (and that was in the days before AutoTune was used much at all, especially in Nashville...). But the vocal is processed differently - having the "sheen" that many have alluded to...