Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd,

This is a wonderful write and listening to you and Janice singing it gave me goosebumps and a tonne of images of my own children when they were young flooded through my mind.

I really liked the song format that you used... verse, chorus, bridge, chorus. It's not usual but it can be very effective as you've shown us all in this creation.

Some of the words and phrases that came to mind as I listened were: poignant, bittersweet, so glad you came along, I'm proud of you, life is worth the journey, heartfelt, touching. I really like where your singing and your songwriting took me smile

Now I'm off to listen to the demo.

All the best,
Noel

Noel - I am glad that this resonated with you. I have been surprised that so few people even mentioned the subject matter of the song. I figured you would pick up on the unusual structure of the write...

Quote:

P.S. OK... now I've listened to the Nashville demo. I much prefer your version and listening to you and Janice. There is a noticeable amount of 'brilliance' created by high frequencies in the Nashville version that wasn't friendly to my ears because it's not what I'm used to hearing. Your version had a richness and warmth to the overall tone that the Nashville version did not. I suspect that if Nashville re-did this demo today, it would sound more aligned to your presentation.

I think you hit this one "on the head". I know that some people prefer the "sheen" of the Nashville demo, but I agree, it has far too much "brilliance" to the sound, and repeated listens really fatigues the ears. It's "just too much". It does make it "stand out" when compared against a "warmer mix" - and that was likely intentional at the time. These demos were heard by those searching for songs to record for their next record - against several others - all vying for attention - in that one listen that it would get looking to get place on the pile of "second listens". That over-done sheen was a necessity. But that is not how current music is presented "to the public" in current recordings - streaming, CDs, whatever recording might be listen to... I think you described all of that perfectly. Thanks!