Originally Posted By: rayc
Cool bit of history - the process as was & often still is.
The Nashville demo sounds like it was intended for the charts - big, brash & bright but the vocal lacks warmth - it was only a demo after all.
The BIAB version is more engaging, there's warmth and emotion. The harmonies are natural and sweet.
the only thing I'd take from the demo would be a touch more brightness as the BIAB seems a little sepia compared to the other's neon.
LOVELY stuff.

Ray - thanks for taking time to listen to both version (as so many did) and for the nice comments.

I agree that the Nashville demo is "big, brash & bright". It was designed to get the attention that it needed to get (quickly) to get interest for getting it recorded. (It is very well conceived, played, sung, produced). As I told Noel, I do feel that it a bit over-the-top bright and can be wearing on the ears (as several folks have noted).

I think "a little sepia" is a good description of my BIAB demo. Part of that is my choice of how to produce a "listenable" recording, but some of the less-than-bright comes from the "squash" that Soundcloud does. There is actually a 320 mp3 of it on the page with the Nashville demo (at the bottom) which if A/B'd with the Soundcloud version shows clearly that Soundcloud adds a "bit of dullness" to what we put there. (though I thought it was a bit much to ask folks to listen to yet another version....)

Thanks, again...