Originally Posted By: Shastastan

Substitute trumpet for "trombone" in your quote and it could have been me who wrote the above post. I don't even know enough to ask a question about this stuff. Per advice from Mario, I'm re-installing my Ketron SD2 rather than having to mess around with the intricacies of "soft synths". Due to a fire and other problems, I haven't used BIAB for a couple of years. Like you, all I want to do is enjoy playing and not get involved with all the tech stuff. Besides music, the other thing I like is woodworking.

I find hardware synths to be easier to use, more reliable, and they sound much better than software synths.

Software synths are a good idea, but I just don't think they have surpassed hardware yet. They will someday, but not yet.

The problem as I see it is this. Hardware synths keep sounds in ROM so they are ready instantly. Software synths have to create the sound for every note as it is being played. In order to do this, the soft-synth manufacturer has to play the game quality vs. latency and compromise the quality for less latency.

The hardware synth can store a much more complex sound and have it instantly available. Quality without latency.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks