I don’t often record guitar but I do use the guitar (a Tele mostly) via a computer through an amp sim, then along with the backing tracks all into a PA. I plug the Tele into a USB interface (a Presonus 24C) which then goes through an amp sim (TH3) which is setup balanced to my backing tracks. I have a Behringer FCB1010 midi foot controller set up controlling stomp boxes, volume, compression, wah etc. this delivers a really good sound. I read someplace it is better to leave the volume knob on the guitar full on then control volume with a volume pedal (and I agree this delivers a better sound). TH3 has a meter to let you know the best input level on the guitar then the output level on the sim can be set to what you want to record at.

For recording I use a similar setup but ensure I don’t record too hot. Somewhere below -12db. That way you have room to manoeuvre with an amp sim. Record dry and then add effects.

That is the methods I use and have done for a long time.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1