Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I personally haven't seen posts where just the GUI has been a deal breaker to a first timer to purchase the program

Me. I almost jumped the ship, specifically because GUI scared me, and believe me I have patience. So there you have it smile

GUI is turning people away in a BIG way (I can't stress this enough!). The full screen "View" looks "sort" of ok, but needs work. Like modular/re-sizable buttons/menus and something done with the mixer --> Auto hide / auto expand... Full 16 channels channels Midi or RT. Oh yes, endless 90s style menus. Having the functions is a good thing. They just have to be sorted and presented well.

Years ago I had a website that had very specific things made for me. When it was time to update/upgrade it, there was a dilemma as the graphics were written into the code. So what we done is designed all graphics separately as CSS and connected old code functions to it. It worked fine for a few years until it was time to re-write the website. But when we did, the graphics were an "easy" move, because design did not change. If the design needs to be adjusted, it is pain free process now, since it is not tangled in the code. I am not a programmer, but I wonder if this is possible with BIAB? To design GUI that can be used with old code and separate enough to be used in the future, if at some time BIAB will be re-done?

I don't disagree with you that newcomers are put off by and overwhelmed by their initial introduction to the GUI. I just don't think it's an appearance and coding issue. It's more their lack of musical knowledge and their end result expectations from BIAB songs. You're correct about the complexity of the GUI also because the entry package of BIAB, the PRO Pak, core program is the same as every Pak including Audiophile. The least is as complex as the greatest.

The genius of BIAB/RB is not its simplicity but its complexity. The genius is BIAB's lone and unique ability to search for, capture, and compile realistic, complete compositions in thousands of styles by thousands of instruments from thousands of hours in studio quality environments by top session musicians.

I think there needs to be a version of the program designed in the same manner that most DAW's have today, a lite version having advanced features locked that is focused on novice level knowledge and use and most functions being automated. Perhaps have a limited RealTrack combo package and limited additional RealTracks like the Pro Pak but improve the midi portion of the program to all Hi-Q package supplied midi instruments with super midi soloists and the program is supplied with a limited amount of midi files that are complete commercial released songs that have been licensed for BIAB use similar to how Guitar Hero game was structured. Beginners could purchase an entry copy of BIAB that would open these licensed midi songs and these songs would sound good with the chord chart populated at opening, an appropriate midi H-Q style selected for the particular song, ready for the user to play and sing along with. Users could switch out to RealTrack combos from the default midi style. It could be a pre-programmed package of licensed commercial songs based on midi file songs targeted for novice users and karaoke performers and small performance acts that perform with tracks.

I like it that you didn't jump ship due to the GUI. My personal experience remains intact. wink

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.