Dear 'Bud', Ms. Janice and 'PeterF'...

I think a song could be 'upbeat' even while it expresses sorrow, regret, anger, loss, or any other unwelcome feeling, because the act of setting to music the sentiments expressed in the lyrics is in itself an act of faith and hope. People normally don't raise their voices in song to purposefully make themselves feel bad -- they do it to release the bad feelings and free themselves from despair, as any worthwhile 'blues' song does.

Thoughtful lyrics and Ms. Janice's gentle, empathetic vocal treatment of them make the song, The Way Things Are, something to take to heart. 'PeterF', I believe I have not heard you play an electric guitar in such a somber, questioning manner (to my ears, at least), but your performance cleared a quiet space for itself and deeply affected my experience of listening to the song.

'Bud', I think I would not use the word 'mixing' to describe what you do on the production end of a song -- instead, I would say that you tend to your 'sound gardens' with care, sensitivity, and love, even.

If there are 'intelligent' aliens out there in the cosmos somewhere, I hope they'll detect this song, be moved by it, and come to Earth to help us fix things up laugh !!!

LOREN

Last edited by bluage; 03/25/20 10:59 AM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".