https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/weerzien-v15-master

Hi everyone,

My late mother always wrote poems. Mostly for herself. As a kid I listened breathlessly to those nice words I didn't understand. Just recently I found her poems book. I thought it would be nice if her words can come alive again. I picked one poem to be the lyrics for this song. Probably some of you won't understand a word of what I sing so I have tried to translate the words. In English they don't rhyme of course.

I can tell you this project wasn't easy. At first I had to sing in Dutch, which I had rarely done, secondly I had to alter a lot of sentences to make them rhyme and not sound outdated since the poem dates from 1963. And thirdly, I had to convince myself that the song sounded good enough to post it here for you. That was the biggest challenge.

So, it is now up to you to decide if you would like to listen to my first Dutch song!

Hans Berkhout/ Birchwood
====================================
Technical information:

Key=Am , Tempo 82, Length (m:s)=3:48
Style is _QUASAR.STY (Quasar Minimale Moderne Pop Ball)

RealTracks: 2937:Bas, Fretless,
RealTracks: 2693:Piano, Acoustic,
RealTracks: 1765:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Fingerpicking
RealTracks: 1543:Synth Pad, PopBelieve
RealTracks: 3186:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Keltic Songwriter 16de Gel 80
RealDrums: NashvilleBrushesBalladPushEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes
=============================================================================
The lyrics ( I couldn't align the English words properly, sorry):
Weerzien                                       Meeting again
(c) WBattem/HWBerkhout 1963 / 2020 (12-04)

Couplet                                                              Verse
Even kruisten onze wegen elkaar weer               For a brief moment our paths crossed again
Toen ik je riep, net als die 1e keer                when I called you, just like that first time
Je ogen, verwonderd, daarna heel blij              Your eyes, amazed, then so happy
Want ze herkenden mij                              because they recognized me

Couplet                                                              verse
We spraken en lachten en dronken rode wijn      We talked and laughed and drank red wine
Maar tussen ons bleek niets meer te zijn           But there turned out to be nothing between us
Wij waren niet dezelfden als jaren terug           We were not the same as years ago
De tijd had ons veranderd, gewoon iets te vlug     Time had changed us, just a little too soon

Refrein                                                              Chorus
Jaren vielen weg, we waren even samen              Years dropped away, we were together for a while
Op die plek waar wij toen vaak kwamen              at that place we often visited back then
Een beetje onwennig,          A bit uncomfortable, (because)
we wonen nu niet in de buurt                       we no longer live around,
ook had ons weerzien jaren geduurd                 also our meeting had taken years

Couplet                                                              Verse
We namen afscheid, een vage belofte, geen kus   We said farewell, a vague promise, no kiss
Zonder om te kijken stapte ik op de bus            Without looking back I got on the bus
Ik zag je staren, vanachter het raam               I saw you staring from behind the window
En even voelde ik een traan                        And for a moment I felt a tear (coming)

Refrein                                                             Chorus
Jaren vielen weg, we waren even samen              Years dropped away, we were together for a while
Op die plek waar wij toen vaak kwamen              at that place we often visited back then
Een beetje onwennig,                A bit uncomfortable,(because)
we wonen nu niet in de buurt                       we no longer live around,
ook had ons weerzien jaren geduurd                 also our meeting had taken years

Brug                                                                 Bridge

Refrein 2 (gelijk aan couplet 1)                             Chorus 2, (like verse1)
Even kruisten onze wegen elkaar weer               For a moment our paths crossed again
Toen ik je riep, net als die 1e keer               When I called you, just like that first time
Je ogen, verwonderd, daarna heel blij              Your eyes, amazed, then so happy
Want ze herkenden mij                              because they recognized me

Refrein                                                             Chorus
Even kruisten onze wegen elkaar weer               For a moment our paths crossed again
Toen ik je riep, net als die 1e keer               When I called you, just like that first time
Je ogen, verwonderd, nog één keer                  Your eyes, amazed, one last time                
Maar ze zagen mij niet meer                        But they saw me nomore

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130