Hello Videotrack,

Imagine you have a song with a melody going from C5 to F6. If the clefs split point is set to C5, all the notes of the melody will be on the treble staff, and it will be easy to read.

Imagine now that you have another song with a melody going from G4 to C6. If the clefs split point is still set to C5, some notes of the melody will be on the bass staff and some will be on the treble staff, and the melody will be not so easy to read (especially as Band-in-a-Box defines notes and rests durations by staff : if the melody is split between treble and bass staff, the notes and/or rest do not have the same duration as if the melody is only on one staff).

But if it's possible to define the clefs split point by song, you can fix it to C5 for the first song and G4 for the second song, and each melody will be easy to read without having to change a general clefs split point before playing a song or another.

You could say : "ok, then set the general clefs split point for example to E3, and any melody will appear completely on the treble staff!".

But what if the "melody" I want to enter on the melody track is in fact a bass line : namely for some funk songs, the bass line is as important as the melody. Listen for example George Duke "It's On" !

You could then say : "ok, enter the bass line on the soloist track and choose another clefs split point for the soloist track as it is currently possible in Band-in-a-Box!".

But what if I prefer to enter the bass line on the melody track to save the soloist track for a soloist real track?

Or what if, another day, I want to use the soloist track for a second treble melody voice: listen for example "The Prayer" as sung by Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion or "Vivo per lei" sung by Andrea Bocelli and Heather Headley?

In these different situations I will have to regularly change the clefs split points. This is why I regret the impossibility of setting a clefs split point by song, and I think that this would be a useful function.

Make good music !

Lazy Bird