Hi,

Quote:
Then I repeated what I'd done some time back and changed the melody to a RealTrack instrument.

I think you know this, but just in case you don't... you can't have a RealTrack play a MIDI melody you. You can have a MIDI patch / sforzando / synth plugin play a MIDI melody using whatever patch you want, however the RealTracks consist of both the instrument and arrangement playing over the chords you have entered. It isn't going to play your melody.

Quote:
The melody is an imported MIDI track generated from my leadsheet from another application.

I've started to understand the differences, maybe conflicts, between MIDI tracks and RealTracks. Keeping backwards compatibility and familiarity is good, but sometimes makes for awkward compromises.

OK, let me tell you what I'm trying to achieve, without any of the "how", that's probably adding fog.

I'm trying to set up a jam/practice tool that does something similar to the jam sessions my friends and I did before covid-19 got in the way. We choose a song, play one chorus "straight out of the box", then go around each of us for a solo, then finish with a final "out of the box" chorus and some ending tag. You example of silence, say, sax, silence, sax, silence matches almost exactly that, assuming that the first and last silences are where the melody plays and the rest are not. What would you recommend as the best(?) way to achive that, please?

For the Melody track, what I understand is that you have imported a MIDI melody that spans the six choruses, but you want to mute all but the first and final chorus. Here are two options.

A. Melody menu | Mute melody in middle choruses [checked]. This is a quick way to do it, but this is not a song setting and is not saved with your song.

B. Bar settings - click on Bar 1 and press F5: select chorus 2, set the Melody to 'Mute'. Then select chorus 6 and set it to 'back to normal'.

For the Soloist track, it sounds like you want some select choruses to have a Band-in-a-Box generated solo. For this, set up a medley which I described in my previous post. It is easy, I just tried to include alot of detail in my post which might have made it seem hard.

Are you trying to do this with your band members in separate locations? If so, that's going to be your biggest problem...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.