Originally Posted By: Gordon S
I'm waiting for the final chorus toi see if the melody reappears... No. Pooh!

There's an easy answer to that that I realised in the middler of the night and yes, it's a PICNIC.

When I started over from the SGU and imported the MIDI again, did I change the number of choruses in BIAB to match the MIDI? No. Doh!

Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music

I think you know this, but just in case you don't... you can't have a RealTrack play a MIDI melody you. You can have a MIDI patch / sforzando / synth plugin play a MIDI melody using whatever patch you want, however the RealTracks consist of both the instrument and arrangement playing over the chords you have entered. It isn't going to play your melody.

I didn't at the start of this thread, though I'd learned it by he end. I selected a RealTrack to render the MIDI and it did _seem_ to have worked. Where thiongs went badly wrong was later, I imagine because the RealTrack then overrode the MIDI. My understanding now is that it probably shouildn't (doesn't?) works and maybe I had something else kick in to do the render. Certainly the soind changed, though whether or not that was to the RealTrack instrument I can't presently say. I may explore sometime to find out.

A. Melody menu | Mute melody in middle choruses [checked]. This is a quick way to do it, but this is not a song setting and is not saved with your song.

OK, that statement will save me some future puzzlement.

B. Bar settings - click on Bar 1 and press F5: select chorus 2, set the Melody to 'Mute'. Then select chorus 6 and set it to 'back to normal'.

Which concurs with MusicStudent (Dan?)'s F5 advice and also to my increasing confidence that that is the most robust way to do it.

I've just opened the file I saved late last night and I don't see what I bel;ieved I'd saved, notably the melody track is back to the RealTrack that I'd erased and reimported, and my soloists track has again the "Assign RealTracks" clarinetist that was playing all the solos. I guess this is becasue I still have some residual RealTrack stuff around that's causing BIAB to rebuild the song, probably when I reload it.

The question, of course, is how do I remove the RealTracks. I went to "Select RealTracks" from the Mixer and selected "None" for the melody track, which leaves me with no instrument, so I can set a MIDI instrument, but when I do the same for the soloists I get "1152 Silence". I'm rather presuming now that it the soloists track is now showing the RealTrack from the F5->RealTracks settings, which is "[Silent]".

The Soloist dialog still shows the RealTrack and still shows Instrument Clarinet, so it's still hanging around somewhere. Playing the song plays a clarinet solo at the start (I huess right through, thouigh I didn't let it run). Oddly, as I still had no melody I changed via the mixer from the Sforzando Guitar I had to GM2 guitar, which I later noticed had not appeared on the mixer, played the song, still no melody, but now I have the solos I expected, not the clarinet. I imagine that I need at some point to force a regeneration. Again, likely mostly my unfamiliarity.

I will add, though, that as I gradually get to grips with getting BIAB to do what I want, my respect for the end result grows and grows. It may be a puzzle for a newbie to use, but it certainly delivers the goods once one even just begins to get to grips with it.

Last edited by Gordon S; 07/10/20 12:11 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.