OK, well I've found at least some of what happens...

I used the mixer channel "track actions" to set the soloists channel to defaults and erase the MIDI. The soloists on the mixes now shows empty, though there are RealTrack soloists set via F5. I have soloists set for choruses 2, 3 and 4, but no <Silent> until chorus 5. When I play this I get the melody in multiple choruses (presumed all), but no solos.

If I now open the soloists dialog, I see that there's an instrument already selected ... style 1 Bebop Saxophone, Instrument Tenor Sax. Mute melody in middle is checked. If now I click Cancel, the dialog closes with no effect. I click OK it _applies_ that saxophone and regenerates, but now I _do_ get the melody muted but the solos are all that saxophone. BTW, I do get a short cropped melody note at the very start of chorus #2 prior to the first sax note. I'm not sure whether that's what Andy was refering or somwthing else.

If I now again default and erase the soloist track and set chorus #1 to <silence> and regenerate, it agains reverts to melody in at least two choruses and no solos, so the <silence> appearce to do nothing useful and the Mute of the melody track in chorus 2 appears to do nothing.

Back to the soloist dialog, Mute melody in middle is still checked, Beebop sax still as a default. Instrument still Tenor Sax, so set that to <no patch change>, click OK, it regenerates and plays automaticaly. That sax is back in the mixer soloist. Melody plays for chorus 1, a croped note, then that sax all the solos again. Still no RealTrack.

Erase the MIDI sax, use F5 to set soloist to <silence> on the All Choruses option. No auto-regenerate, so regenerated manually. The blooming MIDI sax appears in the mixer yet again when I click the regenerate+run, but this time the sax goes away again and does not play the solos. Why differenet? The melody does no mute.

Now I go to the RealTracks picker. As I have to pick somnething to enable the Meloy button, I select a clarinet and then click Medley. I click start on second and then add <Silence>, three instruments and <Silence> and Generate track. Despite (twice, I believe) having said start on second, it plays both the the RealTrack clarinet and the melody over multiple choruses.

For the present I run out of ideas and take a break.

A really useful feature for the future might be a graphical overview of what BIAB thinks it will play where and when, perhaps a matrix of tiny buttons for the bars, colour coded by midi/audio/realtrack/whetever, with a hover stating exactly what's configured at that bar.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.