Hi, all! Well, once again, I have been caught up in some overwhelming situations of life that have kept me from being here as much as I desire to be. But I have been very busy, and have a few new songs that I will be sharing soon. Here's one to start with...

VIDEO - The Other Side Of Nowhere

SOUNDCLOUD - The Other Side Of Nowhere

This song is an ode to writer's block. I have never really had much of a problem with it (my problem would be more along the lines of writer's disruption.) smile But I think we all can relate. My oldest daughter is a prolific, published writer (won awards for essays.) We were talking recently about the most common way to deal with writer's block: simply get a paper and pen and start writing anything that comes into your head (no matter if it makes sense or not) until something starts coming together that you can work with - then build it from there. So I was talking to someone the other day and asked him where lived. He replied, "I live in the middle of nowhere." (A common phrase in Texas.) That got me to thinking - what's on the other side of nowhere? So I thought "the other side of nowhere" is a pretty good description of where we are when we are in writer's block. Hence, the birth of this song...

I hope you enjoy it. Realtracks listed below make a great band. I played the acoustic piano, organ and percussion parts, as well as the orchestration at the end. This was all tracked and mixed in Luna, UAD's free daw for owners of UAD thunderbolt interfaces. It's an amazing workstation, which I am really coming to love working with.

RealTracks/Drums used...

RealTracks in song: 3123:Bass, Acoustic, Pop8thsSteady Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3520:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Americana16thsDelayBrent Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 3059:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Muted16thsFintan Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 3133:Guitar, Resonator, Background FolkCoolEddyDelay Sw16 075
RealTracks in song: 3109:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AmericanaFolk16thsLowBrent Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 3336:Piano, Electric, Rhythm LoungeFunkJeff Ev16 080
RealDrums in song: AmericanaRoots16th^03-a:Kick, Sidestick, b:Toms

----

The Other Side Of Nowhere
(Ode To Writer’s Block)
©2020, Stephen W. Young

I started off without a purpose

And I wandered off from there
And I'm just beneath the surface
Of a life without a care

And sometimes I think I'm special
And at times it's just not fair
Cause after all the dust has settled
I'm just stuck here on the other side of nowhere

In the morning I drink coffee
Helps me open up my eyes
At night I dream that I'm somebody
But it's only my disguise

And the afternoons are heavy
With the songs I've yet to share
And every time I think I'm ready

And at night I see the lights off in the distance
As they glow with dreams that seem so far away
And I am tempted by the path of least resistance
But the other side of nowhere, is where I am today

And the afternoons are heavy
With the songs I've yet to share
And every time I think I'm ready

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann