Originally Posted By: edshaw
Charlie:
We Tascam Guys gotta get hot on this Model 12. Introduced this year. I've been holding out, waiting for Tascam to get up to date with respect to computer compatibility. Not ready to write the
DP-03 off, mind you, but not recomending it at this time.

Examples: (1) I build a BIAB backing track, render to six WAVs, want to quickly transfer those six tracks onto the recorder, tweak and reduce them to two or three.
(2) I have a set of 24 songs on a 32G card. I want to go into a song and start doing some serious bouncing and mastering. I'm up against power limitations right away.
(3) I want to isolate one track and run it through the Reaper or Audacity effects bank. In short, I want to be able to do all those things Willie can do in his $1M studio for a couple of grand. Is that asking too much?

Ed, thanks for your ciomment. Yes, the Model12,16 and 24 are exciting new gear and welcome additions to the recording scene. My recommendation of the DP03 was to demonstrate a bare minimum setup as a alternate to the DAW/audio interface system discussed above. The DP03 is a reasonable choice as the anchor of a home recording studio for beginners because it offers all of the basic necessities to compose and complete high quality recordings at both a reasonable cost and quite a manageable learning curve and it interacts wonderfully with any version of BIAB.

There are definite benefits to a hardware and BIAB combination that enhances the potential product, complexity and arrangements of BIAB tracks that elevates BIAB tracks on par with tracks edited in a DAW. These tools, techniques are mostly ignored by users that move their tracks over to their DAW because there's no benefit to do it in BIAB over a DAW. There are however many benefits when using hardware rather than a DAW.

BIAB functions as a digital multi track recorder so it can do a lot of advance edits, bounces, sub-mixes, smooth transitions, fade-in's, fade-out's, intros and outros. BIAB can also serve the function of virtual tracks for a digital recorder with a set number of physical tracks like the DP03.

These digital multi track capabilities overcome all of the limitation you list in your comment above.

I agree there are better choices but that by no means diminishes the DP03's capability to accomplish the task.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/16/20 02:00 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.