Originally Posted By: tonnie
Mario,

Thanks for your reply.

I did a background check on you, so that is why it took some time to react.

My normal use of BB is:
1) accompanying me, while playing my guitar (mostly jazz and some latin)
2) reharmonizing songs
3) creating my own arrangements to play to.

This means that I prefer BB, as it will vary the bass line, drums and piano comping etc. somewhat for each chorus, like a real jazz group would do.

I use my DAW, Studio One Pro 5, for all of my work, I only use BiaB to scratch out my chord progressions and to pick a style(s). Using a DAW will give you many options not available in BiaB, like more tracks to work with; more on that in a moment. RealBand is a DAW but it is only a 32 bit DAW and Kontakt may have problems with it, don't know for sure. Cakewalk is a free 64 bit professional DAW and many here use it.

Question 1: will I still be able to play Real sounds, while using Kontakt Player for backgrounds and (counter) melodies, that I have created in BB?

Yes. Here is where using a DAW has advantages. You would generate a song in BiaB then transfer the song to the DAW via drag and drop or the VSTi. You would add Kontakt to the DAW on a different track(s). Note that you can have as many Kontakt tracks and BiaB tracks as you like or need; this is a great way to add percussion parts like shakers, congas, bongos, etc. Plus now you can go back to BiaB and either regenerate the song for more variations or change the style. Again transfer either everything or just selected tracks to your DAW. Thus you could end up with say 10 or more Realtracks, drums, percussion, and any number of other tracks. Plus each track is independent of other tracks so you could have say a sax play for 8 bars, then a trumpet for 8 bars by changing the volume of each track. And you can have different effects on each track. The options are endless.

Question 2: once a song is set up for using the sounds from Kontakt Player, can I still just press play, or is there a setup necessary for each "playback"?

I believe in BiaB you just press play and the Kontakt tracks should play along with the BiaB tracks. That is you should not have to set up the Kontakt tracks for each play.

I see from Kontakts Specifications page, that I might need a new laptop (4 GB RAM, or 6 GB recommended for large KONTAKT Instruments).

Hope to hear from you.

Tonnie

BiaB is a great product but I believe one needs a DAW if they need or want more then the limited number of tracks BiaB has available. Others may not agree and have other workarounds but me I like to go the easy route and a DAW works for me. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware