Fantastic. Thank you very much Andrew

Actually this solves the entire problem. This debacle all started when I tried to organise my songs the way I normally organise my files in Windows, by prepending the filename or folder with a number. Of course I got used to the fact that Windows ignores any period other than the final one when it looks at a filename. So if I have '3.Mysong.SGU' then Windows simply ignores that first period (or any other period included in the name).

Realband is not that agnostic to the period though. After loading '3.MySong.SGU' and generating tracks; when I come to save this as an SEQ (without specifying the extension) then RealBand already assumes the file name will be '3.MySong'. Because of the period it assumes that the extension is .MySong and saves it as an SEQ with no file extension. When I come to save this a second time I'm told that there is an unknown file extension and won't save it until I put an extension on it.

But one particularly puzzling issue occurred when, for some reason I ended up with a SGU filename that looked like this '3.MySong.SGU (includes midi).SGU'. I'm not sure how I ended up with a filename like that, but I did.

It was Andrew at PG Music who spotted this issue and steered me toward understanding the problem. When I loaded a song with this particular file name and then attempted to save it as an SEQ (without extension) the RealBand assumed I was saving 3.MySong.SGU and prompted me to include Soloist and Melody details.

The biggest problem was that RealBand would not save my SEQ after a first save. I'm sure the developers will be able to explain this easily. After my first save as an SEQ, on the subsequent save RealBand gave me an error message saying that it could not save a second time because it couldn't convert the newly generated TMP file into an SEQ.

The forum gave some good responses that were mainly related to permissions for the folder. But the first save was OK. I also tried running from a FAT32 USB drive where RB created its own RBBackup folder. The behaviour was exactly the same. But I noticed that when there was an error with the SEQ that there was also a TMP file with the same name as the previously saved SEQ file. I reasoned that this must be the TMP file that RB can't convert to an SEQ. So I deleted the SEQ renamed the TMP to SEQ and voila - it was OK.

It was Andrew from PG Music who pointed me to perhaps an issue with the backup system. I noticed there was always just one backup of a song, even though my Preferences allowed for 5. If I deleted this file and saved the SEQ file then all worked OK, but of course on the next save it failed again.
My workaround for this was to set the maximum backups to 1 so that the existing backup file was moved to the recycle bin on each SEQ save. This worked fine.
That was when it hit me, it was not just the .SGU, it was ANY '.' in the filename other than the extension that was getting RB's knickers in a twist. So I came in this morning and attacked all the file names and removed all '.'s except for the extensions. Now all RBs save behaviour is working is working as promulgated in the manual.

Talking of the manual, well I'm sure there will be umpteen references not to use '.' in filenames and I note that PG Music don't do this on their files.

So, when it comes down to it it's probably my fault anyway.

But nice to be able to move on.

Thanks everybody for the help and particularly Andrew at PG Music.

Last edited by jonel; 01/12/21 02:30 AM.