Originally Posted By: CrvsCrx
… I am using a 2TB NAS on network at present and it is a pain sometimes (slow to load, etc.).…
Yep.

I have a twin drive 28TB NAS that I use for Time Machine for the whole network. I would never load files I actually use on it. As you already know: Life is too short.

Quote:
I prefer the APFS volume over the external drive, it is faster in my case. I have created both. Creating the volume was easy, to create the bootable drive with OS Catalina install I used a third party software, still easy to do.

You're right, adding a volume is a lot faster but I would lose the ability to do near-instant TM restore via APFS Snapshots on my System drive (doesn't work with two MacOS on the same System*). With some of the apps and testing I do, losing Snapshots is not an option for me. Since Snapshots isn't an issue on my external, two volumes on one drive is fine.

*On the occasions I have to restore via Snapshots, I shut down then turn the external off before I boot ⌘ r into the Repair Partition. Can't do that with a partitioned or multi-volume drive. Again, not an issue for most users.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5