ALL RB/BB/PG USERS.
this is a letter ive wanted to send to audio interface manufacturers for awhile.
see if the SPECS make sense, and feel free to add your own specs.

NOTE, its meant for the under 200 buck market/project studios/lone songwriters/small groups. its not meant for large orchestral recording sessions in big studios.

THE LETTER. as follows.
i feel a big under 200 dollars market segment is being missed by manufacturers to sell to computer based project studios.
so heres an idea for a new usb audio interface which can also be used standalone. and will also replace a usb audio mixer.
1. PRODUCT CONCEPT.
Think a slimmed down version of a usb mixer. basically without all the knobs and connectors etc etc.
where everything is done in software. and it can be optionally a 19 inch rackmount or not.
and can be used standalone or with mac or pc or even raspberry pi !, or ios or android or fire tablet.
also an ultra low round trip latency recording/playback device.
preferebly less than 2ms latency via custom engineering/custom multi client asio drivers .
(instead of useing generic drivers.)
and thus finally slaying the bane of all musicians, LATENCY.
1.1 Physical connectors.
*4 mic pre xlr combo for mic/line. plus seperate 4 direct out//send/return multifunctional connector.
ie can be used for outboard send/return and/or direct out after mic pre.
*mic pres can also handle guitars like a di box.(via software switch. mic or line or guitar di.).
*2 sets of output left/right stereo connectors for hooking up 2 sets of powered monitors.
(with a software switch for mono checks.)
*4 sets of headphone stereo sockets THAT ARE POWERFULL, (some are not powerfull !)
and can take a range of can impedences. so one doesnt have to buy seperate headphone amps.
(for ultra low latency record monitoring/playback. also a software switch for mono checks.)
*usb connector. unit powered by usb. BUT ALSO CAN BE POWERED BY standalone usb power brick whereby the unit is just used as 4 mic pres by themselves. via direct outs. eg in those cases where a computer isnt used. ie just useing the 4 mic pres.
*optionally a thunderbolt connector.
*the usb is used for simultaneous recording of the 4 pre inputs to 4 seperate daw recording traks and playback of mix all in sync. IE CAN RECORD 4 TRAKS AT A TIME UP TO 24 bit/96 K. optionally a stereo mix.
( i personally only ever use 24 bit / 44.1, but other users i know want higher rates.)
1.2 mic pre specs.
*variable input impedence (set in software) to handle certain types of dynamic mics.
*HIGH GAIN MIC PRE. eg 70 db. cos some dynamic mics need lots of gain.
(note. ive had to resort to condensor mics cos of this problem.). thus this would save useing in line preamps.
*of course ultra low noise , high headroom, boutique type pre. etc etc etc
*AND LE PIECE DE RESISTANCE, to quote french. each boutique pre can be configured in software to have various
"characters" other than clean wire with gain.
ie mic pre can be various "personalities".
lets call it a "mojo setting". but can also be ultra clean.
*48v dc on each mic pre for condensers. (no physical switch. set on/off via software.)
*limiter built in (configurable in software) so people new to studio work dont overload into the red.
2. SOFTWARE CONTROL.
*everything software controllable via computer display.
or tablet/phone (for standalone remote work).
eg input levels , sending to direct outs, setting 48v dc. setting mic or line or di on a channel.
limiter to stop overload etc etc.
and of course setting bit depth/sampling rate etc on computer daw .
*i wouldnt want to see too many added features in software , if this might affect ultra low latency.
thus , as part of a software daw bundle included, maybe include a low cpu use vst channel strip to be inserted on daw traks for such things as compression/eq/echo/reverb/other fx etc etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hope the above makes some sense. but, the overriding objective should be an interface that is ultra low
latency, that sounds wonderfull (with great a/d/a) and that can be used in a studio OR on location somewhere and with
multi client drivers.
eg recording nature sounds, or foley.(in the latter case maybe be powered from a vehicle for example.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok . please critique the above specs.//add your own specs.
best
amiaskingtoomuchmuso.lol.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/27/21 07:02 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)