Hi Journeyman
Sorry I didn't get back, Andrew came up with some ideas that were along similar lines, I went through all the settings and finally lined all up at 24 bit / 44100. The original soundcard now unused was set to 48000/ 16 bit and because (I assume) the Audio Interface, which was set to release when the app wasn't used, saw this it was prob that that was jumping the soundcard. causing me to have to power it down to start it back in 44100 (as there is no switch on the AI). So now I have it set to all 24 bit / 44100 there is no jumping the AI to different settings.
WE have tracked it down to a dialogue box that opens in CB to ask how you want CB to deal with an imported file, Andrew found a way to switch that dialogue off and I can now import the tracks singly. There is another DB which asks if you wish to import tracks singly or multiple on separate tracks and this is now causing a freeze but Andrew hasn't found a way of turning that off, so I may have to import singly. or use the stand alone version (ie not a Plug in) which will work as advertised.
That's where I am at the moment, hoping to get slightly further but at least I've got a workaround. Can't thank you enough for your suggestions, I'll try and keep posting

Hodge