Dave.
we all have different work methods.
for example right now for a complex song i have , over the last few days , auditioned hundreds of RT's. picking in the picker, then generating and playing back with my chord structure.
very time consuming the way i do it.
the issue is that auditioning the RT in the picker with a pg demo in a certain key is different from the key of my song. and the other aspect is the "sound picture" of the RT can change from demoing the RT in the picker pg demo to then my original song key.
for example, the other day, i listened to a soloist in the pg demo key, and went "meh" , but THEN
brought said soloist into my chord structure , and went "kapow" with some daw massageing.
thus its a pretty involved process i use. because i dont want to miss special "accidents".
i might go through RT's a thousand times, cause that way i get accidental "song oictures" that fit my original song.
i dont just say "well i'm doing a rok song" so i'll keep to a few fav rok soloists or backing RT's.
in summary in any song i might be toing/froing a thousand times, and generating same number.
IF I DONT DO THAT I MISS INTERESTING SOUND PICTURES THAT ADD INTEREST TO A SONG.
thus for me, i need in dialog auditioning with my chord structure. i have thousands of RT's to pick from.
the other issue is, if bb becomes OIAB (orchestra in a box) one day, as i suspect it will, the RT data base will be massive. thus auditioning in dialog is going to be even more important imho as more RT's are added over time.
of course this wasnt an issue years ago when there were fewer RT's.
best
muso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/13/21 07:13 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)