Quote:

Bob,
Have you ever seen a roadblock set up outside of a bar, where everyone is stopped, and checked for alcohol? How much different is that from here?

Yes, I think both are wrong, in the U.S., you're innocent until proven guilty, and we've supposedly based a lot of our laws on the laws of U.K., so I would think that the same sort of thing goes on there.

Gary

Gary! Glad you chimed in! I always value your thoughts!

*IS* it wrong to focus control in areas where there is most likelihood of a problem?? Heaven help us if we can't enforce good sense until it blows up in our faces. What have we accomplished by letting the disaster play all the way out? Prevention is a good idea, IMHO

Regarding the idea of being innocent until proven guilty: people coming out of a bar drunk who don't get behind the wheel of a car probably would not be charged with anything. I don't think it's a crime to be intoxicated. It *IS* a crime to drive drunk. Better to identify them before there's a bunch of people tangled up in sheet metal, broken glass, puke and blood.

But that's just my opinion. Not everyone would agree.

The trick is in finding a way to identify and stop criminals without simultaneously inhibiting the freedom of those who are law-abiding citizens. We're open to suggestions. Any takers?