GM drums contain percussion instruments also. That is they may contain bongos, shakers, tambourines, etc. Most if not all of the better drum presets do not have percussion instruments, they only contain the main kit set. Thus you have to also have some percussion instrument presets to hear them.

I run into this also. What I do is in my DAW I separate each drum and assign a GM drum map to each. This tells me what instrument that note is calling for. Then I choose a preset that matches that instrument.

Another option is to separate the basic kit notes from the percussion notes; this may depend on the DAW you are using. If you can't do that copy the entire drum track. On the original drums track delete the percussion notes and on the copied drum track delete the basic kit notes then assign the presets based on that criteria.

I hope this helps and good luck.

{edit} also note that different drum presets may have different drum maps. This may also have certain notes either do not play or play the wrong drum or cymbal. Again use a GM drum map to determine what each note is supposed to play.

Last edited by MarioD; 02/24/21 05:50 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware