Originally Posted By: floyd jane
First things first... LOVE the drum sound. Loud and Proud as they should be for a song like this.

The bass and piano work perfectly with them (drums). Really nicely mixed/balanced. (and I'm hearing percussion that I don't see listed - a nice addition - wood block?)

Hi, floyd jane. A nice start to my morning seeing you as the first post!

It means a lot to get your approval on the drums. laugh

The additional percussion is actually baked into the RealDrums, which makes mixing it... interesting. It would have been nice to have some variations to the track that didn't have the percussion, but that wasn't an option with these tracks.

Quote:
The guitar solo sounds good.

I wasn't sure there was going to be a '70's guitar sound to match what I had in my head, but I finally found just the thing. It took a bit of tweaking to get it to set right in the mix, but the result was exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
A nice write. Interesting lyrics throughout - especially the "choruses".

The interweaving of vocals is ASTOUNDING! Not an easy thing to do - an exceptional job. And at that point, the voices sound really good together.

I'm glad that the lyrics worked. I was tweaking them throughout the mixing process, up even past the final mix, as I noticed lyrics that didn't work. For example, I was typing out the lyrics getting ready to post the song here when I noticed the I'd intended to complete a line as:

maybe we got tired of waiting
for us to change

but actually ended it with a lyric that no longer connected the two lines together: blush

maybe we got tired of waiting
can't forget or forgive

Fortunately, it was super easy to jump into Synthesizer V, change the lyric and re-render the vocals.

I know the last couple of songs have had the same sort of "interweaving" vocal effect, but it's really fun to do, and I love the sound. For prototyping counter lines, I think this is where it's really nice to have synthetic voices. They don't complain about last minute changes to lyrics or melodies. wink

Quote:
The mix is SUPERB! This really POPS through my speakers.

Several listens. Worth it.

Awesome! I'll let "& Son" know. It really helps to have another pair of ears to bounce things off, especially since we'll often listen for different things.

The first thing he noticed was the snare and the lack of mids on the drums, and then getting the bass to sound like what I thinks a bass should sound like. I don't have the same sensitivity to gaps in frequencies, which is why Izotope is making a ton of money spectral balance tools to people like me.

He handed back a re-mixed version that was overly compressed, because ear fatigue had set in. Dialing everything down brought back the headroom, and putting an impulse response on the drum also brought in a lot of mids and lows.

Thanks for your encouragement! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?