Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
It's sooo easy to post these great ideas when you're not a programmer... There are YouTube vids about trying to use Pi for music production. Zero support for all the third party stuff we need. Want to use an interface? Nope. Want to use VST's? Nope. Want to use a keyboard or guitar based midi controller or mics? Nope. Good luck getting Steinberg, IK Multimedia, Native Instruments, etc to create compatible software to run on that system.

Years ago our Access programmer told me our office had the 5th largest database in the country. His favorite joke was when people came to him with a request and said "All you gotta do is..." He would tell them, right it would take me two weeks to implement that so talk to the boss about it.

Bob

At the very least, the Pi does support many audio interfaces, USB mics, and MIDI controllers. As long as the device is class compliant, it should work with ALSA or Jack or whatever the Pi uses.

That's another important consideration I didn't think of initially though - the built-in audio output on the Pi is terrible (think 8-bit) as it uses a general purpose digital IO to approximate an analog output. HDMI is perfectly good sounding so for many people it would be OK, but for those with a computer monitor with no speakers it would be awful, so that'd raise the price as we'd theoretically have to include a higher quality audio device of some sort.

I work here