I had Power Tracks Pro back in the 90's, and once I'd learned a few things, it became my go-to notebook and synth sequencer/recorder. This was my first digital music application, and I was pretty well thrilled with it at the time.

The versions I used were back 20 years ago or so, and I'm wondering what I'll have to do to get back in the groove with today's PTP. My latest computer doesn't seem to have audio inputs like my old desktops did, and I've been looking over the threads and seen that an interface may be required, for example.

Also, I thought the features were pretty cool; you could use a mode called piano roll to click, drop and drag notes, and modifying individual notes in duration and other dynamic parameters was easy. You could switch screens and both see and print your tracks in musical notation. It had a built in mixer, and I don't remember how many tracks were available. Some basic effects were available, and as I recall, there was a bundle of instruments and synth sounds included.

I bought a software product at the same time called Virtual Sound Canvas (at least that's what I think it was called), which offered better sounding instruments and more of them. Eventually I switched to a Korg X5DR synth but continued to use it with Power Tracks Pro.

Sorry, this is getting a bit long. Mainly I'm asking if the current product can do all the things my old versions could do, and do it simply as I'm not so hot as a computer guy. Any advice for starting up a hobby project would be deeply appreciated.

Tom