Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Simon.
HALLELUJAH ! that helps a lot.
dont get me wrong i KNOW its not easy for devs.

some ideas i had... maybe pg might consider is some sort of added faq's/vids that would help a brand new user.
showing say a few example set ups of host daw/usb interface/win 10/biab/rb settings etc .
sorta like a few example "templates" that are known to work well.
this way when a new user might encounter a problem
other pg users could point to the standard settings templates to try.

best
oldmuso

There aren't really any standard settings to try - every computer is unique. It's a matter of trying all the audio related settings until you find what works with your computer/hardware/software combinations. We've found some hardware/software combinations only work at 48khz, so in that case telling the customer to set to 44.1khz as a "guaranteed thing" wouldn't work there. Everything has to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Originally Posted By: Uncle Paul
Thank you for this answer.
But I miss some other important information that may be indipendent of all this varieties in Hard and Software.
While it is safe to set everything to the Basic sample rate of 44/16 you point out as a measure for troubleshooting; do the Software packages involved in a given setting need to be set to the same driver?
To clarify: I refer to Band in a Box (in the background), The plugIn and a DAW. If there is ASIO available, doe all 3 need to be set not only to 44/16 but to ASIO as well.
If one of the does not support ASIO, do all 3 need to be set to, say, WAS?

Is it safe to set everything the same, sample rate and Audio driver?
Or is it not only the safe way to go, but absolutely necessary?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do I even ask? just to give some background for those wondering.
I ask this, because as I mentioned in my post I had this "mismatch error", but was not able to find a setting that was available in all of the 3 Components.
I had this strange behaviour (still no answer if this is intended) that when selecting a style in the PlugIn a small window popped up which I could grab (if fast enough) an view the settings in bbw-64.exe. And the settings differed from the settings in the PlugIn, but could not be altered.

You don't have to match WAS/MME/ASIO in all your applications, and in fact it can cause problems if you do. ASIO, WAS in Exclusive mode, and WDM-Kernel Streaming are "exclusive" protocols that allow one app to use the driver at a time, meaning that no other app can output sound. It's best to use those exclusive modes ONLY in applications where it is necessary - for example your DAW when you're recording (and then no other audio app should be open).

Hardware and software always need to match sample rate, otherwise you'll get no sound or sound issues (cutting in and out, distortion, etc). The only "exception" so to speak is when using WAS/MME/DirectSound in a non-exclusive mode, because that goes through the Windows audio mixer which I believe can resample any incoming audio to match the hardware (which is part of what creates latency when using those modes). This can allow multiple programs to output sound with non-matching sample rates, though in practice it doesn't always work.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Paul, the VST does not need a driver as it is a plug-in for your DAW and the DAW has the needed driver. In other words the VST piggybacks on the DAW's driver, thus it does not need its own driver.

ASIO is a one trick pony; that is it will only work on one program at a time. So if you have ASIO on both your DAW and BiaB then you would have to turn one off to run the other. The best way to have both active simultaneously is to have your DAW on ASIO and BiaB on either MME or WAS.

It is best to have the sample rate the same in BiaB and your DAW. BiaB is 44.1 KHz by 16 audio bits depths, the same as all CDs. However you can have higher sample rates and bit depths in your DAW but not only do they take up more HD space the returns don't justify that space. I keep my DAW at 44.1 x 24. You may select other settings.

I hope this helps.

Correct - the VST pipes the audio directly into the DAW, which then outputs the audio through whatever audio driver it's using. And also mostly correct that ASIO only works with one app at a time - I say mostly, because multi-client ASIO drivers do exist (my 3rd gen Focusrite Scarlett, RME Fireface, and multiple MOTU interfaces all have multi-client drivers) although the majority are single-client.

I personally keep my DAW in 24/96 as that typically increases the accuracy of the mix, and hard drives are cheap. When I render to the final master though, I tend to bring it down to 44.1/16 or /24 as it doesn't matter as much there for what I do - who needs high sample rates when death metal is just noise???

Kidding - I do death metal, jazz, funk, rock, electronic, and everything else (except country).

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Most ASIO audio drivers support use by only one application at a time. Unfortunately, as long as an application is open, even if it is minimized and in the background, that application may retain access to the ASIO hardware audio driver and block or prevent other applications from accessing the driver.

Generally speaking the only time an ASIO driver is needed is when you are recording. So set whichever application you're recording in to ASIO and set the other applications to WAS, WAS Shared, Windows Direct or MME or another available audio setting.

Exactly!

I work here