Originally Posted By: Uncle Paul
A big thank you to all responding. That clarifies a lot.
This is still a complicated matter, yet much clearer now.
There was much useful information to sort through this.
My NI Komplete Audio 6 has a multi client ASIO driver and I have set Windows to non-exclusive mode (should consider to change that for recording, thank you again).
The most useful information was that I should not match formats but have, say, ASIO on my DAW and WAS on Band in a Box.
To quote justanoldmuso: "Hallelujah"

You're very welcome! Exclusive mode can help with recording, worth a try. As far as mixing/matching formats, just to clarify for everyone it should be fine to have any amount of apps using WAS (non exclusive) or MME simultaneously.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
(dont get me wrong i think the new m1 macs are nice except i would like more ports )

Two ports on my M1 Macbook Air is not enough, and one of those ports is shared with the charger so it's more like 1 port!

Originally Posted By: Teunis
From my perspective, the part that computer technology and/or the various standards never got right was the “chair to keyboard interface”.

The “chair to keyboard interface” is still responsible for somewhere close to 90% of computer related issues. If only there was a way to fix that.

Shhhhh, don't tell them that, or they'll fix it and I'll be out of a job!

I work here