Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Some really surprising songs and artists in those lists. Maybe someone was being 'overly protective'?

Remember, this was right after 9/11. Everyone was freaked out and prone to freaking out again at the slightest provocation. Clear Channel was trying to avoid getting too many calls from freaked out listeners. I guess the thought was, hey, we can listen any time to songs with lyrics about flying, or falling, or burning, for now there's plenty of other material to give people still in shock.

Kind of like not showing movies about airplane disasters to people watching on planes.

And it wasn't just radio. People were hypersensitive to anything that reminded them of what happened. Starbucks got called out for an ad featuring two cups of iced coffee side by side with the slogan "Collapse Into Cool". People were reminded of the towers, and found the language startling.

The company I worked for at the time was founded by the man who may have been the first to die aboard Flight 11. I remember there was a big hubbub internally to quick get an image of a plane off the company website's home page. That may sound silly today, but if you read the internal emails, it was a pretty emotional thing for those involved.