Originally Posted By: MountainSide
I think we've discussed that BIAB and perhaps RB make use of multi-core processors. I think, but perhaps I'm wrong, that the consensus was that BIAB does take advantage of multi-core capabilities.

Here's what I'm wondering: it seems that newer processors are constantly upping the number of cores and threads, is BIAB and RB keeping up with this and do they take advantage of this? If I go from a 4 core processor to a 6 core, 12 thread processor would I expect to see and difference?

Jeff

I've used BIAB on an 8-core machine, and IIRC it did use all the cores available. Honestly, I've tried BIAB on slow dual-core laptops, my 6-core gaming machine, and my old 8-core monster, and never noticed much difference in speed. Yes, I can measure a difference (sometimes a significant difference), but seeing or feeling the difference? Not much. If you want to upgrade, try putting in a nice NVMe SSD, that will likely give you the most noticeable difference.

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Well, in the scope of things I guess it is pretty easy to spend 10K on a good piano. So everything is relative I guess.

It's also easy to spend $10k on a not very good piano as well. I've played a few in the $10-20k range that I didn't particularly care for.

That said, I've also played one that was $150k, and was much happier with the one across the room from it that was $25k. Whatever floats your boat I suppose laugh

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Billy, there are some hardware-monitoring utilities that show the activity of each core while running a program. Give it a try on your best CPU and let us know if all are being used.

There's one built into Windows - the Resource Monitor. It can give you a graph of what each CPU is doing - see my screenshot.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
resource monitor.png (41.73 KB, 65 downloads)
Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 09/07/21 12:05 PM.

I work here