Musicstudent.
Some of my thoughts.

Uppermost in my mind often is how much ‘gear/stuff’ do i need to do a song. And how much to spend given, as i read the other day. lots of musicians are lucky to make 67 bucks a year from their songs !!.
This is a sad state of affairs.
A few years back i had an interesting discussion with a big studio AE bout my thoughts put here.
He told me at the time, i had enough gear to do good songs.
As a result any song i do (as i’m not wealthy) has to use budget/free plug ins.
It would be different if i had a big studio budge.
but my thought is all those great hits of
Bygone decades were done pre-plug in tech.
Thus ive concluded after deep thought that if a song of mine sucks…then i’m at fault.

Re instrument plug ins/instrument sounds let me say i have more than enough... Tween PG RT’s and midi supertraks and free instruments included with the uk
Computer music mag ive got enough to sink a battleship.
Let me give an example…i wonder how many people have ever checked out the free Synth and other vsti’s included with cm mag. An overwhelming number of sounds.

Plus the nice pg user mario turned me onto some pretty neat freebies eg the “beeb” spitfire.
Theres a ton of great stuff out there. And this can create a problem ie with so many choices one can get confused as to which ones to use/overwhelmed.
In conclusion i use KISS approach. I only use low cpu use plug ins both fx and instruments. Ie thus not needing a super power pc…/i9/threadripper.

Yes many paid plug ins are great, but as i said at the start how much is needed to do a song ? particularly as musicians are making so little each year.

In the reaper stash and js btw is some pretty neat stuff.
All songs ive put on user showcase so far used bb/rb/reaper/cm mag gear.
Whether the songs are any good…? …lol…only the listener can decide.
I’m about to put up a crazy rocker. Had a ton of fun using pg 2022 free pg dx plug ins and RT’s. and other bits from cm mag.

in closing what i find amazeing is the quality/inventiveness/brilliance of pg users songs in the showcase compared to various song awards shows...many commercial songs i hear on radio these days just dont crank me up. many in the pg showcase do.

Just my perspective.

Every happiness.
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 04/04/22 04:39 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)