Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Gordon.

Thats a great approach/pc buying strategy mate…kudos. Makes a ton of sense.
Same idea buying a house…lol…dont buy most expensive on the block.

Heres a new processor at budget level..might be useful ? for lower load needs ?
Introduced in 2022.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/223095/intel-core-i312300-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz/specifications.html

Prolly a response to ryzens ? and apple going with its own silicon ?

note the no of lanes !

Happiness
om

Interesting that they divide many CPUs into "performance cores" and "efficient cores" and state the clock rates supported and consequential power dissipation by each. By using "efficiency cores" at a lower power dissipation, then can increase the number of cores within the dissipation envelope available. This could be simply to make the chip appear better by having more cores, without having it really work any better.

It may just be me, but I have a tendency to look for parts with the better power efficiencies, i.e., lower TDP. There are several reasons I do that. Lower TDP means cooling the chip is easier, so I can run quieter fans or cheaper heatsink+fans or even no fan; lower power also means less energy wasted.

To be honest I find the whole variants business with CPUs really rather unmanageable now ... the 12th generation i5 alone has 26 variants, the chipsets have another whole raft of variants, and all of that is still dependent on what the motherboard makers do with them.

Out of curiosity I used Intel's website and cpubenchmark to compare i5-12500T, i5-12600T and i5-12600K. What differs between them and what doesn't differ between them shows how fraught and confusing it can be trying to make sense of it all.

Life's too short to get hung up on too much of this, especially when it'll all have changed anyway in a few months time.

Regarding performance with single or multiple drives, I believe a main issue is seek time on hard drives. AFAICS, seek time on SSDs substantially irrelevant as there's no head to move.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.