The biggest mystery has now been solved as to why PG Music discontinued these great programs. I found this and should have Googled better in the first place. Now that I know they were from the '90's and on FLOPPY disks (!) I know better where to hunt for them in my barn. The one in particular I was hunting for is called The Jazz Pianist

For you history buffs about PG Music here is what I found:

pgmusic used to have a bunch of "pianist" programs, which consisted of midi files and a player program that had extra info, etc. most of them have disappeared except for the few that are left on their website. they were (are, if you're lucky enough to have them) great programs. i'm not sure what's left to buy - these are the ones i know they have had:
blues pianist
children's pianist
christmas pianist
gospel pianist
jazz pianist
jazz soloist
latin pianist
modern jazz pianist
new age pianist
new orleans pianist
ragtime pianist
the pianist (6 volumes of classical works)
my understanding is that it was mostly copyright issues that took them off the market. too bad - probably the only place to find them is from someone who wants to sell them. i recommend getting any of them you can find, but especially the jazz pianist.

i have it for pc (the 1993 1.01 version ! ) and you're right, it's a cool program (with around 60 midi files to playback with in real-time, in different styles of jazz, staff, on-sreen piano, and even lessons, and trivia).
when i check the help/index section, i find nothing about updating it online.
just an address and phone nbr : pg music inc 266 elmwood avenue, suite 111, buffalo, ny 14222 .... ph (800)-268-6272 or (905)-528-2368 ... (if it still alive), maybe they might enlighten you with that.

Now to find my floppies (and a floppy drive to try to run them on !)

Best and thanks for all your input. ALL mysteries now solved !!!!!

Bob