Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
i see it comes with some instruments but it's not wildly exciting. are there many free third party instruments that play in sampletank? i use mainly RTs but sometimes fill in with midi tracks and i've got some quite nice sounds that seem ok in a mix so i'm not minded to spend a lot to get more new sounds.

what's the advice? or is kontakt a better way to go?

I have the free Sampletank but I rarely us it. Not because I think it is terrible, it is not-it has some good sounds, but because I have a ton of Kontakt patches and that is my go to program for sounds.

The free Kontakt Player does accept many third party patches. You just have to carefully read the third party's information to see if it will play in the free version or if you need the paid version of Kontakt. All of the sites I have been to have indicated what version you can use. All of the versions that work in the free player will also work in the paid version so if you upgrade you will loose nothing. The main difference between the two versions is that in the paid version you can change many parameters in most all patches whereas in the free version you are stuck with what they give you. I have had Kontakt for many years and the only time I go to change a parameter is so I can use my wind controller on patches that are not set up for a wind controller.

Asking what is better Sampletank and Kontakt is like asking what is better a Chevy or a Ford. Both are good programs and cars.

I hope this helps and good luck.

{edit} PS, why not DL both and see which one you like the best. All it will cost you is a little time and maybe you will keep both.

Last edited by MarioD; 07/11/22 12:52 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware