BIAB: Your Partner In The Creative Process

This song was created initially on our Yamaha Motif with no backing tracks as an exercise in "melody first" song creation. As a singer/songwriter I usually begin a new song with a song "idea" or story I want to relate. I usually write a short story, choose a hook, and then write the lyrics, and choose the music based on what the lyrics suggest. But in an effort to come up with new material I started noodling around with melody first ideas on an instrument where I have the least amount of expertise. Sort of an "unfamiliar territory yields uncommon musical results." It's always interesting to me to hear how other songwriters apply the creative process and what they were thinking when they created a song. If you have stories about your process I'd love to hear them, as I think we'd all benefit from the knowledge.

BIAB's contribution to this production is "BALADP Ctry Bal w/Ped Steel" from SD#94 at 65 bpm. With the exception of my country-style piano, the entire song is RT/RD. I still have no lyrics; not sure there will ever be any. But I really enjoyed the "melody first" creative process and find the song very moving despite the lack of lyrical content.

SONG LINK: Deahnah's Theme

Enjoy,

Bob Buford, Producer
Summertown Recording Studios
Fort Collins, Colorado