PG Music Home
Posted By: avatars_the_titletrack BB and Kontakt 3 kills my PC - 04/07/10 03:38 AM
I have finally learned how to set up Kontakt 3 with BB and I was amazed at the results. However, with 8 instruments loaded, BB pushes the CPU up to 80 per cent or more, which just doesn't happen with the same setup in Cubase....it does not even get to 20 per cent. Usually I can load Kontakt instruments on all 16 midi tracks with no problems. My PC is not the latest but it has plenty of power for everything I need it for....Dual Core 2.5 ghz, 3 gb RAM , 500 gb HD, Edirol UA-1EX , etc......

nothing stellar, but I really have no problems, especially with Kontakt, which is really one of the most stable programs I ever bought. But BB for some reason doesn't like it much.....any ideas, beside that of buying any new hardware whatsoever?

Posted By: Fifer Re: BB and Kontakt 3 kills my PC - 04/07/10 06:43 AM
Are you loading Kontakt as a VST? If so, try launching Kontakt in standalone mode and link BAIB to it using a virtual midi cable. I have never had a problem with Kontakt 2.4 using this method.

Brian
thanks, I have just installed Midi Yoke but then uninstalled it because I thought I installed the wrong version. I have then noticed that there is only one version, and when I try to install again, an error message appears :
'this advertised application will not be installed because it might be unsafe'.
I don't know where that came from.....first time I get such a message. I am running the computer with administrator's rights. Any ideas? thanks
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: BB and Kontakt 3 kills my PC - 04/07/10 05:52 PM
Hello avatars,

As mentioned, if you want to pursue using the plugin version rather than stand-alone, try using the VSTi version instead of the DXi. You need to 'add VSTi plugin' manually for the <VSTi> plugin to show up in the list.

Also, there is a file called AsstSettings.ini in the '\bb\Bandstand Technical Notes' folder which may be of some help. It may be slowing down because it is loading alot of patches, and you can use this settings file to control that a bit. You can edit this file with notepad or other text editor, then copy it into the main bb folder. There is documentation about this in the PDF manual in that folder.
thanks Andrew, will try that
actually, it shows already as <VSTi>, so I guess I am not using the DXi

as for the text file mentioned, I have no idea about what to do with it. I think I will try with the virtual midi cable again.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: BB and Kontakt 3 kills my PC - 04/08/10 05:48 AM
Hi,

You could simply copy that file to the main bb folder and see if it helps. Do this with Band-in-a-Box closed. The file already has some default settings in it, so it doesn't necessarily need to be edited (for example PlaybackPatches_DoNotSendRedundantPatches=true).

If it doesn't help or makes matters worse, you can delete it from the main folder.
oh, I see, I thought I had to edit the file.
Will just copy it in the BB folder and see what happens, thanks
I have followed your suggestion and it's working well! thanks
the CPU dropped from 75 to about 25 per cent with BB and all 8 Kontakt patches working, pretty good
Posted By: Asian Sun Re: BB and Kontakt 3 kills my PC - 04/09/10 01:38 AM
That's great. Would you please share how you configured Kontakt and BIAB? Many users will appreciate that. thanks.
hi, basically you need to load a Kontakt instrument for each track and assign a midi channel for each track, according to this tutorial:

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_garritan.htm

the bad news is that you would have to do that for each BB song....not very practical, so a better option is to save a few generic Kontakt setup for each genre, for example load instruments for a rock setup, then save, then load the ones for a jazz setup ,save , etc, so you will be using 5 or 6 setups only according to the genre.
© PG Music Forums