PG Music Home
Posted By: tonnie Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/16/17 03:23 PM
Cannot seem to access the sforzando SFZ Synth as described in posting #424497 by Callie - PG Music.

I use a WIN 10 laptop with BB 2017 build 467, with a Roland SD-50 as sound-card. The driver type I use is Asio. I use the BB harddrive for the program and all my songs.

Callie states: This synth is installed with Band-in-a-Box, and is ready to play and does not require configuration.

However, alas it does not (yet) seem to work for me, as I e.g. cannot find the Select Hi-Q MIDI synth Patch.

Any suggestions?
Tonnie
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/16/17 03:48 PM
Tonnie,

After reading your post, I found myself wondering the following...

When you installed BIAB, did you install Sforzando?

Is Sforzando available in BIAB's lists of VST instruments?

Have you tried right-clicking on the BIAB start-up shortcut and then selecting "Run as administrator"? That might make a difference (I know that it does on my system).

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Pipeline Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/16/17 04:20 PM
https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

hiq_instruments_sforzando.exe

Attached picture SFZ_Installer.jpg
Attached picture SFZvst_Folder.jpg
Posted By: tonnie Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/17/17 06:10 AM
Dear Pipeline,

Your download link does not download. Can you please check and mail it again?

Thanks,
Tonnie
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/17/17 06:33 AM
Click up the top of this webpage on Shopping Cart and log into your account to download hiq_instruments_sforzando.exe file

Attached picture PG_Account_Order_Page.jpg
Posted By: tonnie Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/17/17 09:01 AM
Dear Pipeline,

Thanks! I am downloading the file now, which seem s to take longs time.

Were should I install this om my BB hard-drive or on the C-drive of my laptop?

Brgds,
Tonnie
Posted By: jford Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/17/17 11:56 AM
I haven't run the install in a while, but as I remember it, the main program for Sforzando will install into your Programs Files folder, but you can specify your standard VST location during the installation process, as well as where you want to install any music libraries (if I remember correctly). The program itself doesn't take up a lot of space; it's your sound files that take up the space.

On my machine, I install the main app to the "C:\Program Files" folder; my VST's go to my "D:\AppsData\VST\32-bit" (and "D:\AppsData\VST\64-bit") and my sound files go to "E:\Audio\Sounds\Sforzando". you get lots of control about where things go. Just pay attention to the settings when you do the install.
Posted By: tonnie Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/17/17 12:38 PM
Dear jford,

Thanks!

Tonnie
Posted By: jford Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/17/17 12:46 PM
Vær så god, Tonnie!
Posted By: tonnie Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/19/17 08:59 AM
Dear jford,

Have downloaded the Sforzando VST flies and they were installed on my BB hard drive under Program Files → PG Music Inc → BiaB sounds → programs → various instruments → etc.

I have checked everything against the “About Plogue Sforzando” file and everything seems OK.

However I still don’t see “select Hi-Q Midi Synth Patch as shown in Callie posting #424497 - 08/04/17
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbw2017newfeatures2.htm

"Select Hi-Q MIDI Synth Patch ……".

Any suggestions?

Tonnie
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/19/17 03:38 PM
Make sure you have added the C:\Program Files\Plogue\sforzando\VST\sforzando VST_x86.dll to the vst list first.

Attached picture BB-SFZ86vst.jpg
Attached File
BB-Hi-Q-SFZ.gif  (132 downloads)
Attached File
BB-SFZ-Load.gif  (126 downloads)
Posted By: tonnie Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 08/28/17 03:53 PM

Pipeline,

Finally, I have a result!

I use the Hi-Q 0401 flute to play the melody of the jazz ballad «I Remember Clifford», and though the flute sounds quite realistic, it is somewhat out of tune.

This sound especially bad when I add the Crooner Big Band as a background.

1) Is there something I can do about this? I have given BiaB a high priority as a program!

2) Are there other realistic sounding sforzando plugins like e.g. trumpet, trombone and saxophones, that I can download somewhere?

Thanks again for all the help I have received from you!!!!

Brgds,
Tonnie
Posted By: ulrichburke Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 05/15/20 04:05 AM
Dear Tonnie.

I don't think the prob's Sforzando - I've just hit this for the first time. I think the problem's how they tune the darned soundfonts in the first place!

OK, admission time, I'm not the world's greatest computer guy so I'm talking from personal experience, not Deep Knowledge here. As soundfonts all come from different sources, I think their definition of 'equal temperament' differs just a little. Just enough to mix a little salt with the sugar. What's needed is SOMETHING in Sforzando to let you change the tuning up or down in microtone steps until you've matched all the soundfonts up on one chord. Once you've got them all singing from the same hymnsheet, they're fine!

At least that worked for me - I deconstructed some using Audacity (played them in my DAW, output the sound as a .WAV, imported the .WAV into Audacity, microtuned them and exported the result as a .wav, dropped it onto Sforzando and got a new soundfont.) Once they were all tuned TOGETHER, they sounded fine
It's the tiny bits of sourness adding up that's the problem, I feel.

Yours respectfully

Chris.
Posted By: ulrichburke Re: Problem with the sforzando SFZ Synth - 05/15/20 04:07 AM
Chris again - just had another thought. I've got a TON of soundfonts I've collated over time - most of which I've had so long I've clean forgotten where I found them.

If it's OK, I'll put them up on a file-sharing site so anyone can use them. As they were free in the first place, it wouldn't be dodgy to put them up as a BEEG free download (about 8 gigs worth) would it?

I'll wait till someone tells me I have permission to, before I do.

Yours respectfully

Chris.
© PG Music Forums