PG Music Home
I'm a good six hours into connecting my Roland Integra 7 with BIAB. Using USB cable, selected the Integra 7 midi drivers, selected the Integra 7 .pat file that's located in the BB folder.
I can load a midi style or a midi file and the Integra 7 'sees' the midi data and plays the correct gm instrument and the correct instrument displays on the integra 7 screen. IE - fretless bass is on channel one in BIAB mixer and also on Integra. Acoustic guitar on channel 7 and also on channel 7 of the integra. Hit play and the song plays GM through the integra. The integra correctly follows the chord progression and style.
But - if I select a new instrument from the .pat file, the BIAB mixer shows the selection, so does the integra, but it does not play the correct instrument. Also, if I access the .pat file and select a new acoustic guitar, none of the choices are guitars.

If I load a midi file of a song, for instance, Wichita Lineman, Coyote or MS wavetable synth will play the correct notes and melody but the sounds are cheesy. If I assign Integra 7 as the midi output, it plays the channels, plays pretty music, but it is not Wichita Lineman. It is playing a style. If I play the midi song before activating the style, there is no audio. Once I activate the style, then the integra plays the correct chord progression, key and tempo, but plays the style rather than the midi song. If I assign another instrument such as a better guitar on channel 7, when I hit the play button, the channel reverts to the cheesy GM sound.
The .pat file does not play any of the SRX modules... that is intentional according to the readme text file.

The biggest disappointment is not getting the integra to play any of the midi songs. I have thousands on USB drives.

I'm boxing it up tomorrow and sending it to attic storage. It's a sad day here.
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I won't claim it's easy, but it can work.

The first thing I want to check is what the .PAT file has in it that you say is in the BIAB folder. I was not aware there was one. When I upgraded to the Integra-7 three years ago, I had to make my own .PAT file.

The Integra-7 supports four of the 12 SRX files at a time. Did you load the ones you want?

The SRX sounds definitely CAN be accessed through the .PAT file.

I'll take a look at that .PAT file later. In the meantime, please tell me what all the BIAB settings are in your MIDI Driver screen.
As I suspected, there is no .PAT file for the Roland Integra-7 supplied by PG Music. There is one for the Roland Fantom, but you don't want that.

So, what are you using as your .PAT file? Everything you complained about sounds to me like a problem involving the .PAT file. If you have a good .PAT file, can you describe how you accessed it in BIAB?

There is a .PAT file on the Patch Files support page. This one is written by Dan Callaway in 2013. Is that what you have? If so, his text describes that the Integra-7 can only have 4 of the 12 SRX module sounds loaded at a given time. He chose to load 2 through 5, but gives instructions how to get the rest from Cakewalk. The biggest problem I see with his .PAT file is that you would have no idea which of the patches were from the SRX modules because his .PAT file does not have comments in the code.
Thanks for replying Matt. Yes, I am using the 2013 .pat version by Dan Callaway.

Regarding: "... please tell me what all the BIAB settings are in your MIDI Driver screen."

I have two Integra 7 driver input choices - Integra 7 and Integra 7 ctrl. The same two driver choices for the output. I saw no difference between choosing either selection.

There is also the choices of Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and Microsoft MIDI Mapper or having no driver selected.

In the synthesizer/sound card drop down menu, the integra 7 option is not there. From a PGMusic tutorial, Dr. Gannon suggests choosing General midi instrument misc, so I have that item selected. I unchecked the VSTi/DXI synth box. General MIDI 2 (GM2) support is selected.
Ok.

The MIDI Input makes no difference. It's the MIDI Output (the middle column) that counts on that screen. It must be set to INTEGRA-7 (not INTEGRA-7 CTRL). I really hope you mean that; otherwise you aren't even using the Integra-7 if you selected either of the Microsoft entries as Output.

I use Roland Fantom X on the synth-sound card pull down, but General MIDI should work too. The other settings you have look fine (GM2, no check for DXi).

What is your version of Windows? Does the Integra-7 show up in Control Panel, Devices and Printers?
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Roland Integra 7 to work with BIAB - 01/17/16 11:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I'm a good six hours into connecting my Roland Integra 7 with BIAB. ...

I'm boxing it up tomorrow and sending it to attic storage. It's a sad day here.

I'd like to offer to save you some space and pay for shipping to store it here.
I'm a nice guy like that.
I'd love a second one for my second computer. I would outbid any of rharv's reasonable bids by a dollar.
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Roland Integra 7 to work with BIAB - 01/17/16 03:42 PM
Charlie,
You can hereby expect to receive $2 more than any published bid I offer...
Gee these guys are so helpful it just makes a tear come to the eye...

Anyway, ALWAYS post the exact details of your PC, your audio AND midi setup inside Biab, your songfile and anything else that might be relevant. Hitting Print Screen, pasting the screen shots into Word then posting those as an attachment to your post is a good way to do that.

Bob
Well Bob, rharv and I know this is a $2,000 unit originally, so it makes kidding fun.

I know I can help Charlie once I have all his info.
Of course, I know. I was going to bid $10 more than you guys but hey...

Bob
OK, the bidding is too high for me. We'll just have to help Charlie after all.
Here are some screen shots.
The two guitars in the mixer play on channels 6 and 7 on the main screen of the integra 7.

BIAB is communicating with the Integra 7 on the midi setup shown.

Integra 7 shows in device manager.

Attached picture mixer.JPG
Attached picture biab driver setup.JPG
Attached picture device manager.JPG
Computer specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Dual-Core processor 2.70GHz
500GB hard drive
4GB DDR3 Memory
Thanks, you certainly have it installed.

The Driver Latency (first screen) can be 0 (zero) for a hardware synth.

I use my ASIO driver rather than MME, but MME should be fine.

Your PC looks OK, and in fact you have fast (DDR3) memory for an older dual core PC.

Now we should turn to the Integra-7 and the settings there.

Under Menu, System, Setup, is your USB Driver set to VENDER?

Is your Integra-7 up to date? Do Menu, System, right arrow to Version. Is it 1.21?

And one more thing in BIAB: please describe the exact steps you take to assign a patch to a MIDI track in BIAB.

Integra 7 is set to Vender (midi+audio)

Firmware version 1.20
Using the mixer screen shot for reference.
I right click on guitar 1 track
select midi patch
select higher bank patch from .pat file
The Dan Calloway pat file opens for nylon guitar variations
The selections are not guitars

Attached picture select midi .jpg
Attached picture nylon gtr.JPG
Charlie, thank you for your patience with all these questions.

Everything you are doing seems correct to me.

I am starting to think the problem must be with the .PAT file. I can send you one of mine to see if that changes anything. I must caution that I have configured mine for jazz instruments, and the horns in particular use only the Supernatural sound set.

Send me a PM with your email address. In the meantime I will look over my work from a few years ago and see what might be best for you. If mine works, at least we will have something to work with going forward.

EDIT: oh, try this one test first. Do not use the Variations: when you open the .PAT file, don't change the variations pull-down in an attempt to find an instrument like "Nylon String Guitar". Just keep it on "All Patches" and scroll through all the patches and see if you can find one you want. Test that for sound.
I tried your test and it worked. I'm able to search the entire database and match up numbers ie:109 gtr strings, select it and the integra 7 matches up to the selection and plays the selection without resetting if I stop and replay the song. I have also achieved importing an existing midi file and have it sound as it's supposed to.

I think you are correct in guessing the issue was with the .pat file.

I have d/l'd the firmware update and will update the integra 7 tonight.

I will also PM my email to you. I would like to look at your .pat file and study it and the Dan Calloway version and maybe create one to better suit my needs using yours and Mr. Calloway's as a template and starting point.

I've spent some time tonight watching YouTube tutorials on setup and accessing the expansion slots, so I am moving in the right direction.

Lot's less frustration today from yesterday. I truly appreciate you and others taking time to help me along.

I will keep yours and Rharv's more than generous bids on the back burner in event I fall back into frustration, I will have a starting point for bidding. Free shipping + $1 !!
smile
The test - great!

I remember deciding never to use the sub categories, but I don't recall ever spending any time with the format of the .PAT file to make it work. What I did to get around the problem of trying to find something within thousands of cryptically-named patches was to reorder and group patches, and liberally add comments.

I'll look again. Got your PM; thanks.

EDIT: sample acoustic-only .PAT file sent via email. Let me know if this helps unlock the secrets.
Posted By: TedG Re: Getting Roland Integra 7 to work with BIAB - 06/05/16 01:45 AM
I need complete PAT files for Roland Integra-7. Why doesn't PGMusic provide them? A download portal for users?

Roland only provides .INS files. Is there a tool to convert .INS to .PAT. ?
Originally Posted By: TedG
I need complete PAT files for Roland Integra-7. Why doesn't PGMusic provide them? A download portal for users?

Roland only provides .INS files. Is there a tool to convert .INS to .PAT. ?

Would this be the one? Available here, on the PG Music Web Site.

Attached picture 2016-06-05_17-39-04.png
Besides VideoTrack's pointing you to one

PG DOES supply a conversion utility

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_bbwpatchmap.htm#convert but it's a little dated - as to use of "+" so instead

Just right click on ANY track on the Mixer or the Instruments (at top of screen) then:

"Select MIDI patch" then "Select Higher Bank Pat (from Pat file")

don't worry that you haven't converted any yet, it will open the "Patches on Higher Banks" window, hen follow instructions like by clicking on the "Open INI/INS" button as explained in above link

Larry
Charlie/Matt

I'm late to table on this one but reading this thread (for first time because someone else ask for Pat file, now I'll have to dig into to verifying it for myself and then creating an .ini for Powertracks as well). Now that I've had mine for a few weeks I'm JUST now starting to "gear it up" for use with PG stuff, then I'll have to attack my new Montage 7 (toys, toys, toys).

But reason I'm POSTING this I NOTICED Charlie, your "Integra-7" and "Integra-7 CTRL" USB MIDI ports are numbered "4-.." i.e., they are "integra-7" and "4-Integra-7 CTRL"

It turns out (if you've been following thread over at Roland Forums on Integra 7

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=46445&start=180#p288108

This may cause you other issues in future if NOT NOW. Right now that affects the 3rd party editor (it took Roland a LONG time to come out with a Windows editor - so this 3rd party one worked really well but has issues with the USB port numbers - Roland's MIGHT as well in some circumstances)

They don’t explain HOW this happens, per se, but it's because I'll bet even money ($1) you plugged in the Integra 7 (at least 3 times) before you actually installed the Roland USB drivers.

MY SUGGESTION you should DELETE those "extra" USB references and start afresh (uninstall them ALL) - then reinstall Roland drivers THEN plug in Integra7

Good Luck
Larry
Thanks Larry. I found the Integra-7 to be much more than I would ever need in my studio so I sold it.
Ah well...
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Roland Integra 7 to work with BIAB - 06/06/16 08:19 PM
OK, I'm confused
You had one and let it go because it was too good?
I bought it, to back up my other one (after a lightning strike took out my Roland Fantom XR).

I do have to admit it was much harder setting up the Integra-7 than any prior Roland hardware synth. The sounds are great, though.
Originally Posted By: rharv
OK, I'm confused
You had one and let it go because it was too good?

Exactly. It became apparent with GM banks, Gm2 banks and all the additional Packs for over 6,000 sounds, I would only use the GM and Gm2 banks and the guitar packs. 50 instruments out of 6,000.

I would never use the interface feature. I did not care for the fact I could no longer just render songs.

Matt helped me sort out the pat file nightmare and also provided me with a pat file he made that focused on the acoustic guitars. The pat file on the PG forum page is a partial pat file. To go further, I was looking at hours of work developing a pat file for instruments I was likely to ever use in my home studio. Navigation was a nightmare. I have a Roland SC55MK2 from the early 1990's. When I pulled it out of the attic and connected it to my computer with a midi/USB converter cable, it immediately was recognized, the SC55 pat file worked and was complete. An absolute breeze to use.

Matt was a tremendous help trying to assist me in getting integrated into my studio but his biggest favor by far was taking it off my hands....

I've since downloaded a soundfont program for my daily use and also took advantage of the Sampletank 3 promo they recently did.

There are several similar programs that came with Studio One Professional 3 that I have access to also.

All is good.
I am surprised, I found (still find) the XR a LOT harder to set up (but then "I'm a man of simple tastes.." or a simple man with no taste!)

For me I7 went: install driver, plug audio (to line mixers), MIDI & USB cables (I'm AC/DC when it comes to MIDI grin), set I7 USB to Vender (mainly becasue of the EDITORS need), and have had zero use issues so far?

[but after working with Motif's and now Montage's, non-intuitive USB interface to PC it's all simple]

GLAD Roland provided .ins file (too lazy to build them myself anymore, at last from scratch),

I did install BOTH the long available and FREE full Editor from Roland Clan forum user K_take, and the (FINALLY) provided by Roland FULL V2 Windows Editor for the I7.

(Given how Roland and Sonar were married for a while it surprised me when they ONLY provided an Apple editor for so long. Actually one BIG reason I HELD off so long)

Larry
© PG Music Forums