PG Music Home
Posted By: BarryJames Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/16/17 04:33 PM
There's lots of synths listed under Synthesizer / SoundCard and the Coyote is working fine for now.

I have a Yamaha Motif Rack XS and it is not listed.

I have it connected over my Edirol UA-25EX interface, MIDI to the synth and audio back over the interface's audio inputs.

The UA-25EX is selected as the MIDI Input and Output Driver.

I see there's a lot of .DK files. Are these the patch maps referred to in the manual? I assume what's required is one of these.

Will PG Music update the list of synths? The Motif Rack XS is fairly old now. I have the 2017 Audiophile edition of BiaB. I feel it should have included it.

The manual implies I should be able to make my own. Not sure I'm at that level yet.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/16/17 06:11 PM
This should help with the file extensions:

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/16/17 06:35 PM
I had a Yamaha Motif XS briefly (after my Roland Fantom XR was hit by lightning) but I sadly must report I never got it going with BIAB. This, despite knowing how to write patch maps. I'm not saying it won't work, just that I couldn't make it work.

If you write (or modify) your own patch map, be aware that the numbering system for Yamaha starts a count of one different from Roland.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/16/17 10:58 PM
EDIT

SORRY again, just re-read it's obvious you are only USING 5-pin MIDI so ignore my ignorant remarks below about USB
but then the opposite is true make sure that the unit internally is set to MIDI I/O and NOT USB I/O. Also make sure you UNCHECK the "Use VSTi/DXi Synth" in the "options -> MIDI/Audio drivers" window

do you have any other external MIDI gear that you KNOW WORKS with your Edirol UA-25EX?

EDIT

You have no issue with any other PC MIDI programs that can send MIDI notes (aka song data) to the XS rack unit correct?

While not the RACK version I had a Motif XS 7 for years (before trading it "up" for the Montage 7 last year) and unlike Matt I had no issues using it with BIAB or any MIDI capable program. FWIW I cannot believe that the basic 5-PIN MIDI or USB MIDI I/O internal circuit, on board chips, or logic flow and related circuits would be any different between XS keyboards and XS racks units (why would Yamaha re-design but that's just opinion and immaterial)

BTW- SORRY MATT I missed you having issues with the rack and I would haev jumped in

However, in my case, I was generally NOT using the USB connection (expect for patch editing, etc.) I use 5-pin MIDI on all my gear since all my gear is interconnected and RUN (at least for sound generation purposes - not editing purposes) via multiple MIDI patch bays then to my PC over my 4x4 MIDI USB interface.

However even using USB, assuming you are using the current Yamaha MIDI driver (not the WINDOWS default driver) should NOT be an issue, as long as you use the RIGHT port for MIDI I/O? It should be the "Yamaha" PORT 1 (probably called "Motif-1" if I remember correctly unfortunately mine now says "MONTAGE-1" when in use. [Port 2 is is used to control of DAW - which for the rack unit would be N/A and PORT 3 is thru port - what comes there over USB goes out the 5-pin MIDI out connection

If you ARE using USB and not 5-pin MIDI you did remember to set the XS Rack to USB I/O and not MIDI I/O?

Hope you get it going - the GM set alone is worth the effort.

Larry

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/17/17 01:23 AM
Thanks. I knew I could have used just the MIDI connection but I was trying to get it working via USB. Doesn't matter now...
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/17/17 02:35 AM
Originally Posted By: BarryJames
Will PG Music update the list of synths? The Motif Rack XS is fairly old now. I have the 2017 Audiophile edition of BiaB. I feel it should have included it.

Barry, you're making an incorrect assumption, PG has nothing to do with it. It's users who create the patch maps, they email them to PG and they will include it. It's appears you're the first one to ask for it so it's up to you...

Something to try is Cakewalk has .ins files for lots of gear. If you can find one of those for your synth, Biab can convert it to a patch map.

Bob
Posted By: rharv Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/17/17 10:58 PM
Go to the Link Mario provided, and remove the 'Rack' part when you search ..
The Yamaha Motif patch map that will likely work is here -
http://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patchmaps/yamaha_motif_xs.zip

JazzMammal is correct in that many of these are User files created for specific synths, that 'Forum/software Users' have donated to help others. So usual download cautions apply, but they have never caused an issue here ..

As a side note, I don't think including every patch map for every synth in the basic install is a good idea; it would likely cause performance issues (slower to load, etc).
The way it is handled now is quite nice, IMHO.
Posted By: BarryJames Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/18/17 03:52 PM
Many thanks, I now understand they are just patch maps.

@Jazzmammal: If I get one together, I will certainly offer it to PGMusic for sharing with others.

@Larry: Like nearly all of the synths listed, the Motif Rack XS has no USB connector at all.

@rharv: I think most of the synths from the majors are there already!

I'll look up the Motif XS (non-rack) and give it a go.

Thank you very much for all the help!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/18/17 04:23 PM
Don't write it - I have one. Send me your email address. I sent you a PM.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/18/17 06:22 PM
Originally Posted By: BarryJames

@Larry: Like nearly all of the synths listed, the Motif Rack XS has no USB connector at all.

Duh??? Your XS rack has no USB to HOST connector on the back? Or do you mean you never connect it via USB? Because the XS has USB connectivity

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/motif-rack_xs/specs.html#product-tabs

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/motif-rack_xs/gallery.html#product-tabs

even the older Motif ES rack has USB connectivity (as did my ES7)

In any case, I hope you get it working with ALL your SW
Larry
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 07/19/17 03:32 PM
Bump.

Barry - see my post above and look in your personal messages.
Posted By: BarryJames Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 08/20/17 05:43 PM
Hi Matt,
I saw a yellow envelope which must have been your PM.

It is no longer visible and I cannot find a way of seeing old PMs.

I wonder if you could send on again and I will respond immediately.

Sorry, new at this.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 08/20/17 06:37 PM
Barry, presuming it hasn't been deleted, you will find it here:

Attached picture 2017-08-21_07-34-35.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 08/20/17 09:15 PM
I put it temporarily on my website:

http://mattfinley.com/promos/YamahaMotifRackXS.pat

Do a Save File to put this in your /BB folder. Then you have to select it and Update in the Patch Change dialog.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 08/21/17 09:59 AM
I've used a Yamaha Motif Rack XS for many years with both BIAB and RB using a 5 pin midi cable and a midi patch bay. The patch map you are looking for is posted here under Yamaha: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

Jeff
Posted By: BarryJames Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 09/06/17 03:09 PM
@matt: Thank you very much!

@MountainSide: Unless I'm not looking right, I don't see it.
Posted By: dburns Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 09/07/17 02:53 AM
IIRC the Motif synths don't have a very good GM bank. It's close, but you will always have to map patches from the factory banks to get your GM files to sound right.

I never wanted to spend that much time setting up a MIDI file, so I bought a Yamaha XG expansion card for it, and it produces excellent sounds through its GM/XG synth.
Posted By: Jazi Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 04/22/23 01:30 PM
Hi Matt ,
Just came across this thread today.
Could you kindly share YamahaMotifRackXS.pat one again.

THanks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 04/22/23 06:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Jazi
Hi Matt ,
Just came across this thread today.
Could you kindly share YamahaMotifRackXS.pat one again.

THanks.
I no longer have it; it's been ten years. But there are two choices on the PG Music site, here: https://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 04/22/23 06:53 PM
Jazi,

You can do a Ctrl+F webpage search using Motif as the search term on +++ THIS +++ PG Music patch map support page.
Posted By: Jazi Re: Can I use my Yamaha Motif-Rack XS? - 04/22/23 08:39 PM
Ok , thank you both for the help.
I will try Yamaha Motif XS.pat

Regards
Jazi
© PG Music Forums