PG Music Home
Posted By: colly roland sound canvas va - 08/24/16 08:13 AM
Hi Guys
I am pretty new to biab but I was wondering if any one had done any songs using the sound canvas va...just so I could hear the bass drums etc.

As I am about to purchase it and would like to hear something done with it rather than the you tube vids.

thanks
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: roland sound canvas va - 08/24/16 10:15 AM
Welcome. See my reply in Recording.
Posted By: Mat - PG Music Re: roland sound canvas va - 10/04/16 05:49 PM
Hi colly,

Most Roland Sound Canvas soft synths and hardware use the same sample sets, typically. The Microsoft General MIDI soft synth that comes with Windows even sounds similar to it (it just doesn't sound as good).

If you're interested in hearing what a particular synth sounds like, one of the recommended tools is either YouTube, or there's a fantastic website that I utilized when I went on a ROMpler hunt last year that I would suggest. It's called SynthMania. Though I don't believe it carries The Roland Sound Canvas VA particularly.

The person who runs it also runs a great YouTube channel. It was one of the best sites I've come across when wanting to demonstrate a classic synth. smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: roland sound canvas va - 10/07/16 06:49 PM
Wikipedia offers a good overview of all of Roland's general purpose sound modules. ++ HERE ++ is a link to the Wikipedia article.

PG Music has a ++ DARE-TO-COMPARE ++ webpage with audio file comparisons between some hardware and software sound modules including Coyote Wavetable (included with BiaB), Roland VSC (Roland's first generation virtual sound module emulation), Roland TTS-1 (Roland's second generation virtual sound module emulation), two hardware based Roland sound modules and a Ketron hardware sound module.
Posted By: colly Re: roland sound canvas va - 10/07/16 09:16 PM
Hi Jim

I did come across this when I was on my before I bought.... biab real tracks, and I was impressed.

Then I listened to what could be done on a daw with real tracks i.e. posted songs.

I have never had such a recording working out for me ,than I did when I done a song on real tracks.

I have stated from day one I love , and will always love midi.

and it does have its place along side of real tracks.

I am just on the beginning of a journey.

And to be fair I was ready to give it all up.
Posted By: MioMan Re: roland sound canvas va - General Question - 04/17/17 10:12 PM
I had purchased a Roland SD-20 device some years back. It appears this device is becoming obsolete. that is, being replaced by software like Sound Canvas va.

My question - My original purpose for buying the SD20 was just to make music played from BIAB sound better. Do I really need to do that? That is, is the sound just native from a new MacBook OK?

If I want to do the same thing as I did with the SD20, should I get the Sound Canvas va at $120, or is there an alternative? Roland does not provide updated drivers for the SD20 beyond Mac OS 10.9 or so. Although, it was suggested I could get this interface and still use the SD20
https://www.roland.com/ca/products/um-one_mk2/

I just want to play tunes through BIAB and have it sound decent.

Appreciate any guidance.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: roland sound canvas va - General Question - 04/17/17 11:31 PM
MioMan,

Welcome to the forums.

BIAB is very different from the days that you bought the Roland.

If I'm reading between the lines of your post correctly, you used BIAB when it was entirely midi.... thus the need for a good synth (software or hardware). All those midi styles from the past are still part of the programs and available for people to use if they want to.

Nowadays, though, Realtracks and Realdrums make BIAB sound excellent because these are real instruments played by first class musicians. BIAB takes these audio tracks and uses them to create backing tracks. If you want to have a listen to how the new BIAB sounds, go to the link below. All the demos there are straight from BIAB without being enhanced.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.realtracks.htm

The number of Realtracks and Realdrums that you get with the software will depend on which package you purchase. The UltraPlusPak is the cheapest that contains all Realtracks and Realdrums.

So.... in short.... You don't need a great synthesiser these days to get excellent sounds if Realtracks and Realdrums will do all that you need.

Regards,
Noel
Greetings Mioman and welcome to the forum,

A search of Roland's website indicates the UM-1 USB to MIDI converter drivers will not be updated past Mac version 10.9 so that device may not help you either.

If you have not tried it yet, the Plague Sforzando soft synth included with 2017 Band-in-a-Box or available +++ HERE +++ is a good solution for Mac computers. The main difference from using the SD-20 is you have to run one instance for each midi track. BiaB loads the app and soft synth automatically for midi super tracks but you will need to load the app and soft synth for normal midi.
© PG Music Forums